Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PSR: Too Picky?

I just read the new review of Pegasus' W2 German Paras. While I had no issues with their review, I did have one issue with their rankings. The set has 19 poses & they only gave it a 9, stating "19 poses is a lot these days!" I've been collecting toy soldiers for over 45 years & I can tell you, 19 poses is excellent in ANY era! Heck, 17 infantry & 10 cavalry was considered top of the line for more years than I can remember! Yes, I realize many are repeats with different weapons, but still, 19 poses is fantastic! I ask then, what constitutes a 10?

Re: PSR: Too Picky?

I've found PSR to be inconsistent, with awful sets getting good marks and good stuff getting poor results. I guess in the end it's all subjective

CC
I've found PSR to be inconsistent, with awful sets getting good marks and good stuff getting poor results. I guess in the end it's all subjective

I think that hits the nail on the head, CC; it's subjective.

If 19 poses = 10 , it would leave no where to go for anyone making a set with more than 19 poses (should we be so lucky), given that the pose score is 5 more often than not 9 does say how good this set is,at least to me any way

It's all Strelets's fault they used to make sets with 48 different poses a phenomenal effort.

As for PSR simple the most important 1/72 figure website, essential whether you agree or disagree the pictures always speak for themselves.

Bert,

For all of it's fine qualities, PSR is subjective to a fault.

However, in this case I think it is reasonable to deduct one point for Pegasus's habit of repeating poses with minor alterations. There are not 19 unique poses, and somewhere between 3-5 poses are altered copies. So, on general principle, they don't deserve a perfect score for poses.

To get a 10 on pose quality each pose should be distinct.

To get a 10 on pose number each pose should be distinct and appropriate.

Sometimes the question is really: are there any better poses that were left out? Copying a pose suggests they ran out of ideas, but, there are always more action poses.

I think the whole set should be reviewed score wise - the figures have vague faces and a lot of the weapons are ambiguous - KAR98Ks look too much like SMLE's and the MP40s look like Russian SMGs (PPSh's?). The practice of duplicating poses with variations is lazy and the figures look painfully thin in some cases almost malnourished.
Pegasus have said they want to produce definitive sets and in they often do but this isn't one of them.

Steve Pickstock
I think the whole set should be reviewed score wise - the figures have vague faces and a lot of the weapons are ambiguous - KAR98Ks look too much like SMLE's and the MP40s look like Russian SMGs (PPSh's?). The practice of duplicating poses with variations is lazy and the figures look painfully thin in some cases almost malnourished.
Pegasus have said they want to produce definitive sets and in they often do but this isn't one of them.

I wouldn't say you're wrong but photos have limitations. The figures are in that horrible milky-coloured plastic &, perhaps, the detail PSR can see we can't.

I'd be happy if every 1/72 figure was made in a nice mid grey or tan.

donald

I must agree with Mr Mannix and Mr Buckingham.

Not too taken with some of the weapons either. Also noticed the faces seem quite flat, will reserve judgement until I have the figures in my hands.

One of the kneeling MP40 men provides a projectile for the Panzerschreck, which is a plus for me, as is the baggy fit of much of the uniforms. To sum it up, definitely worth a look.

At least the Germans are done in one piece and not in a hundred pieces like the new Russians. I need good ww2 Russians but have NO patience to put microscopic parts together. Thanks Cappy

They looked interesting to me, acceptable though rather then exceptional the repeat poses a definite minus..

I think PSRs ideal number of poses is 20 ie. Airfix WW1 French Infantry with 20 poses scores a solid 10....

Cheers

Ironsides,

Consider HaT's most recent Prussians. The "Marching" set has only six poses but still got two 10's for poses; the "Command" has nine poses, and two 10's; compared to the "Action" sets which also has six poses but got a 10 for quality and a 7 for pose number.

So, clearly, it is more complicate than meeting a magic number.

Of course, I often wonder if the editors at PSR but as much thought into their scoring as we do.

With all of the sets to review, perhaps there may be more than one reviewer.

HaT sets always seem to get a certain number of bonus points from PSR. HaT does have some very nice figures, but some HaT sets that I found quite poor got rather high marks. I cannot ever recall seeing a bad review of a HaT product on PSR.

All depends what you use PSR for. for me its the pictures to see what the set is like. Their site over the years has encouraged and put me off may sets rather than buying a pig in a poke!

Like all people I have my biases - all those Pegasus/Caesar Soviet/Nazi stuff does nothing for me but clearly PSR rates these highly. However their Strelet heavy artillery comments have been highly critical - by I really like them. Everyone their on choice

The only thing they do not comment on is originality. looking at many of Strelets sets it would score 9-10 not so the majority of leading figure manufacturers!

Mister Mannix
Ironsides,

Consider HaT's most recent Prussians. The "Marching" set has only six poses but still got two 10's for poses; the "Command" has nine poses, and two 10's; compared to the "Action" sets which also has six poses but got a 10 for quality and a 7 for pose number.

So, clearly, it is more complicate than meeting a magic number.

Of course, I often wonder if the editors at PSR but as much thought into their scoring as we do.

Quite true and this is taken into account in PSR's description of ratings on the explanations page:

"In broad terms the set will score maximum points if it contains 20+ poses (infantry), 10+ poses (cavalry or artillery), although the actual subject matter is always taken into consideration and scores will depend on how many poses the subject matter might ideally expect."

so essentially 20 poses is the golden number but almost any set could score a ten depending on what the reviewer sees as appropriate... but clearly it only really applies to "traditonal" mixed sets...

Anyway are points scores that important especially when based on an apparently arbitrary ruling, does it really matter?

If you really liked a set and bought it only to find PSR has rated it as Fetid Dingos Kidneys would you:

A.Send it back to the manufacturer with a stiff letter attached...
B.Complain to PSR that the rating system is a bunch of balony...
C.Post about the pros and cons on a toy soldier Forum.
D.Couldn't care less about PSRs ratings and make your own mind up...

Cheers

Re: PSR: Too Picky?Flash

Just looking at the WWI Turkish Cavalry, it would seem that obvious flash and ill fitting arms that one can see on the scans, score a 10 out of 10 for mould

Re: PSR: Too Picky?Flash

PSR have a page devoted to the criteria they use for poses and other things see:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ReviewNotes.aspx?id=-1

"Remember that this web site is all about reviews, which are necessarily dependant on the opinion of the reviewer" PSR

I am sure there are those who think they could do it better. A few have tried and packed in after a few desultory reviews. Some of us recognise that for all its foibles it is still pretty incredible for plastic figures to be reviewed with such clarity and yet there is always a personal insight or angle.

David