Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: drawings of strelets armoured car of austin putilov

PDA
.. It seems to my eyes that in the side views the vehicle is too short and too tall...
Ha! That's what you get for drinking decaf!

I mean the distance between the front and rear wheels and the overall length of the vehicle does not look long enough, and the vehicle seems to be too tall, in the side views.

The plan view looks good (if you ignore the ridge beside the bonnet).

These plans (of the Austin Putilov fitted with Kegresse tracks) may help:

Note that in the side view you cannot see from side to side between the turrets.

The Austin-Putilov and the Austin-Putilov-Kegresse were exactly the same as each other in terms of body size and proportions etc., the only difference is the rear wheels were removed and replaced with Kegresse track units in the Austin-Putilov-Kegresse.

The complete Austin-Putilov-Kegresse article is on Landships. And I've already mentioned the Austin-Putilov article also on Landships.

PDA
I got the Milsom Profile of Russian Armoured Cars to 1945 back in 1970 and I always fancied scratch building this vehicle though I didn't have any plans. When I did get some plans (via Zaloga and MM mags) the rivets and the wheels put me off. Scarborough's Airfix guide to Armoured Car Modelling gave my ideas a boost but still the rivets seemed like a drudge too many.

A model that is overall dimensionally correct and has good wheels and has adequate rivet detail is what I am looking for. Door handles, hinges, drive shafts etc I can make with plastic strip or rod or brass. Accurate semi elliptical leaf springs are easy to make with plastic strip. This is a fairly small model after all.
This web site of the Kubinka Museum's Putilov has a good walk round
http://svsm.org/gallery/austin/IMGP3055

and to 45 onwards

The side view pic 3055 is almost a perfect side elevation

The tyres are of course not authentic

The Putilov rivets are quite close to edges of the armour plates but they may look OK when scaled down on the model.

I hope the drawings are revised.

Just had time to edit

The Kegresse side view matches well with the pic 3055 referred to above. I did an overlay using Photoshop also did an overlay with the Strelets side view on both and unfortunately it confirmed my doubts.

David

David O'Brien
...A model that is overall dimensionally correct and has good wheels and has adequate rivet detail is what I am looking for. ..
Me too.
David O'Brien
...I hope the drawings are revised...
Me too.

..Well I hope strelets read your posts gents and find them as riveting as I did