Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Catapult with Roman Crew

First the good news:
Your figure masters on the other hand are splendid. Very life-like and dynamic poses. You can feel the crew working together and the officer watching the projectile flying to its target. Great!

But the catapult - thats a medieval type, somewhat like the probably fictional Petraria Arcatinus (without the bow).

The frame seems to be too complicated with too delicate strutting to depict a Roman construction. The spoon shaped limb/throwing arm is by far too big, especially the bowl. Roman versions of that ‘spoon’ usually were much smaller and often featured a sling instead of a bowl. They preferred shooting single balls up to the size of a human’s head with reasonable precision. (I saw some life-size, well researched reconstructions shooting). No big boulders.

A Roman frame probably would show heavier padding where the limb hits the frame, otherwise the catapult might demolish itself after a few shots. And much stronger torsion ropes at the bottom of the limb. There the power is stored, not in the (somewhat oversized) winch. The very common ‘onager’ type got its name because it did kick like a wild donkey. An important part still is missing: The metal gearwork including a latch, placed on the frame near the axle of the winch. I prevented the winch from simply turning backwards due the tension of the rope.

Please don’t take the medieval Zvezda catapult or the Petraria Arcatinus as a ‘Roman’ pattern. Just google roman + onager and you’ll see what I mean. That was a typical machine in Roman warfare. Andreas does a model in 54mm http://www.milminwh.com/images/Andrea/SG-S05_Roman_Catapult.jpg
(Just for the basic construction. There also would have been bigger catapults)

So let the machine match the great crew. Or keep the catapult for another set and add a similar crew in medieval outfit.

Re: Catapult with Roman Crew

Bert, what great feedback! I hope that this will taken as what it is, namely constructive feedback and not criticism, and that Strelets will indeed consider doing something about it.

Well done!

you really think strelets would refit a work already done?

But Strelets could make two out of one set:

one Roman set with better catapult

and one medival set with designed catapult and new crew

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=231&M=Z

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=229&M=Z

Great relief! Thanks! So the Strelets website team only mixed up the unfinished master of the Shaab/Petraria Arcatinus with the Roman catapult set? If the onager will match the box art, catapult & crew will become an outstanding set. I’ll definitely buy a lot of them then. For the crusader catapult, the construction of course will make more sense when a bow will be added (as the power source instead of torsion ropes). Personally, I now can’t await the master of the Roman machine.

Your assessment as to each era's machines was absolutely correct! I also hope the machines match the box art and there will be pictures of the masters for the Roman Machine soon. I've been very much looking forward to seeing the unveiling of these. :-) Cheers!

The Romans the inventors of golf naturally with the heads of their enemies as golf balls....

Four....

Cheers

ironsides
The Romans the inventors of golf naturally with the heads of their enemies as golf balls....

Four....

Cheers
.........I thought he was mixing a cocktail....

Well he could be involved in a number of activitys, however hes missing some kit his military belt...no self respecting legionaire would be seen dead without his belt, which the groin guard should be attached too but appantly isnt, naturally he would also have a side arm his gladius and pugio.... doughtless his other kit would be stacked close at hand with that of his mates...

Cheers

ironsides
Well he could be involved in a number of activitys, however hes missing some kit his military belt...no self respecting legionaire would be seen dead without his belt, which the groin guard should be attached too but appantly isnt, naturally he would also have a side arm his gladius and pugio.... doughtless his other kit would be stacked close at hand with that of his mates...

Cheers

Ironsides:

I hope S*R has read the comments in this thread so far. The masters so far are only so, so. Alan Buckingham also has only criticism describing his as mixing a drink. Must be a big one, kinda like pulling a fishing pole out of the drink mixer.

My point to S*R, humor aside, is another company has already made a great set of Roman Artillerymen, and in multiple colors already and truely soft plastic. Ironsides has delivered a very thoughtful critique of what's lacking in the Artillerymen's details. Alan has also posted to you how he sees your Masters poses so far!

So which is this "great set of Roman Artillerymen, and in multiple colors"?

mike b
So which is this "great set of Roman Artillerymen, and in multiple colors"?

Orion - So look it up on PSR.