Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "awful" figures

PDA
It's odd how some Strelets' figures don't look as good in photos as they are in real life, isn't it.

Whilst I admire the talent of a lot of painters, I find perfectly painted figures a bit demotivating. Without a chance of me ever producing something similar, such box art would really just be rubbing my nose in it.

Perhaps a company, Strelets for example, could have beautifully painted figures on the box, and some videos on their site showing how it was done; real "work in progress" step-by-step tutorials. Such an approach would, I feel, have appeal to all talent levels.

Not just Strelets but other manufacturers as well.

I won't claim to be a "master-painter" but I find beautifully painted figures to be an incentive.

Not a bad idea at all. The trouble with sprue-photos is that some plastic colours "hide" detail. Anything red, for instance, only reveals its glory after a wash in white or black. Give me grey or beige anytime.

donald

ochoin
...The trouble with sprue-photos is that some plastic colours "hide" detail. Anything red, for instance, only reveals its glory after a wash in white or black. Give me grey or beige anytime...
I completely agree. I'm sure most of us would like to see how detailed a set of figures is to help us decide to buy it or not. I think if you want to play "blue versus red" with your toy soldiers, you can buy a couple of cans of spray paint!

PDA
ochoin
...The trouble with sprue-photos is that some plastic colours "hide" detail. Anything red, for instance, only reveals its glory after a wash in white or black. Give me grey or beige anytime...
.I think if you want to play "blue versus red" with your toy soldiers, you can buy a couple of cans of spray paint!

Well, I won't go that far.

I respect the desire of non-painters to have figures in specific colours.....though I still can't understand why painting them in one, desired colour is a problem.

donald

"I respect the desire of non-painters to have figures in specific colours.....though I still can't understand why painting them in one, desired colour is a problem."

Because it defeats the object ie not painting the figures

ironsides
"I respect the desire of non-painters to have figures in specific colours.....though I still can't understand why painting them in one, desired colour is a problem."

Because it defeats the object ie not painting the figures

Yeah. That clears up the mystery.

I made a set of 12 Apache Scouts plus some other Conversions in 2006 shortly after they came out. Some of the poses are very animated and the shooting carbine poses are especially nice. It's easy to see the Classic Airfix Casualty poses, including the horse and dismounted shooter likely from the photo discussed in a thread below, included as further Conversions. Here's the Link:

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Contribution.aspx?ContID=50

Re: "awful" figures/7th Cavalry set 2

Probably because I wasn't paying attention but I don't know if strelets are planning a set/2.....presumably dismounted?

Again, these would be very useful for ACW.

donald

Re: "awful" figures/7th Cavalry set 2

ochoin
Probably because I wasn't paying attention but I don't know if strelets are planning a set/2.....presumably dismounted?

Again, these would be very useful for ACW.

donald

Dear Ochoin,

It would be great if S*R made a set of Dismounted Cavalry. I'd love to see the uniforms as worn in Gettysburg. Several men standing and kneeling plus reloading Carbines and pistols and a few troopers holding the horses would look so cool. Plus maybe a couple of troopers shooting carbines while mounted but horses at a stand-still.

I hope S*R will keep this in consideration I think it would be a very unique and popular set!

I always liked Strelets figures, and I've never been bothered by the style of sculpting. One-on-one, Strelets figures may be less graceful than those from other manufactures like Italeri, but on a wargame table they look way more impressive and warlike. Subtle and soft details are good when you look up close, but from 50 cm you will miss all of them - instead good poses and heavy, accurate sculpting add a lot to the look of whole wargame armies, and that's what Strelets usually delivers The only complaint I have about Strelets figures is about the weapons, they are usually too thick. That's not a big problem with ancient or medieval figures, but turns out to be disappointing in regard of 19th c. or ww2 figures - you can't easily mix those figures with figures from other manufacturers. That's why I have many sets of Strelets' ancients and medievals, but few for XIX-XX c. armies.