Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 8inch Howitzer Mark VI

I thought it looked familiar, Gordon Pasha.

The mystery is, what gun did the War Museum use as their inspiration?

And may I take this opportunity to correct my initial post. The Ottawa Gun has, I believe, the same wheel. What I should have said was, a different tread pattern.

There is very little on the web about these guns,landships had the best help for colour/camo patterns. Finding the Ottawa gun was a real breakthrough.

PDA
I thought it looked familiar, Gordon Pasha.

The mystery is, what gun did the War Museum use as their inspiration?

And may I take this opportunity to correct my initial post. The Ottawa Gun has, I believe, the same wheel. What I should have said was, a different tread pattern.

I assume from the look that their Rubber pads but when were they added? perhaps to save the floors in the museum? the gun does weigh in at 8 n a half tons... which brings me too and you probarbly know this, the MKVI was a purpose built gun this had the advantage of reducing the overall weight of previous MKs(which were all conversions of naval guns)by nearly 5 tons, hence the narrower wheels...

Cheers

Ironsides
" which brings me too and you probarbly know this, the MKVI was a purpose built gun this had the advantage of reducing the overall weight of previous MKs(which were all conversions of naval guns)by nearly 5 tons, hence the narrower wheels..."

Yes
and also the Mks VII and VIII on carriages MkVI,VII,VIIa. Of the Naval gun conversions the weights varied depending on the carriages but some Mks I-V were over 13 tons so a 5 tons difference is about right. The upper carriage on Mks VI -VIII traversed so a little more space between the wheels was needed. To my mind the carriage has a little of the look of a WWII 25 pdr from above but of course larger. The normal emplacement was as in the drawing in the first post and was a Vickers platform which was partially buried and enabled accurate fire and small corrections. It took a long time to install and any major changes would require a lot of digging. Rather than large wheel scotches these marks of howitzer should have the visible (above ground) parts of the Vickers platform to look authentic. When conditions didn't allow the Vickers platform to be used I believe wheel scotches were substituted. Most European theatre emplacements were heavily camouflaged with a canopy, nets etc and the guns not just stood out in the open. The recoil because of the efficient recuperators was nothing like as great as the Mks I-V.

David