Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NEED ENEMIES

I just would like to say that I enjoy the new sets which were just released. However, Where are the Stalingrad Russians and all the various enemies which the Romans faced? I know other companies make them but they are not really compatible with the Strelets style of figures.We need Enemies to go with these new sets! On another note I would like to mention that I get Strelets sets in little plastic bags and sometimes without them. I have had a problem with broken guns and swords etc. which I think is caused by the employees trying to squeeze the sprues into the tight bags.It might be better to use bigger bags or just use none at all. Thank You! CAPPY

Yes more enemies please!

Yes we need more enemies. How about :
- Sioux and Apaches to fight the US cav (plus we need dismounted Cav)
- Government troops to fight the Jacobites
- Stalingrad Soviets (and Germans I hope)
- WW2 Japanese to fight the RIKKA at Nomonhan
- Pathans to fight the Colonial Highlanders
- More Roman enemies (although I love Strelets Dacians)

Did I forget anyone?

Re: Yes more enemies please!

Dear Mako,

for some reason opponents to the Romans aren't selling in same volumes as the Romans, that makes us wonder how these Romans are used and if the opponents are needed at all. Having said that we've released quite a few of Romans' enemies and probably will make some in future.

Best regards,

Strelets

ancient roman enemies

Dear Strelets,

one reason might be, that the traditional imperial enemies are 'only' Germans, Dacians and (in the early period) Gallic.

But there are some more, e.g. Parthian

Very interesting are opponents for the early (republican) roman:

e.g. hellenistic (successor state) armies like Macedonian, seleucid and Egypt Ptolemy, but alos tghe late hellenistic armies like Army of Mithridates.

And even maybe Carthaginians.

for the later imperial period very interesting Sassanids, but also some enemies from the eastern parts (e.g. Palmyra).

They would fit very nicely to the existing roman ranges (but could also create renges of their own)

Re: ancient roman enemies

Dear Martin,

some of the Roman opponents mentioned in your message were considered by us in the past and it may well be that we will make some of them.
That's why we started apart from Romans for the Dacian wars also earlier period armies.

Best regards,

Strelets

Strelets
Dear Martin,

some of the Roman opponents mentioned in your message were considered by us in the past and it may well be that we will make some of them.
That's why we started apart from Romans for the Dacian wars also earlier period armies.

Best regards,

Strelets

heres hoping you do make some of them.

martin_hy
Dear Strelets,

one reason might be, that the traditional imperial enemies are 'only' Germans, Dacians and (in the early period) Gallic.

But there are some more, e.g. Parthian

Very interesting are opponents for the early (republican) roman:

e.g. hellenistic (successor state) armies like Macedonian, seleucid and Egypt Ptolemy, but alos tghe late hellenistic armies like Army of Mithridates.

And even maybe Carthaginians.

for the later imperial period very interesting Sassanids, but also some enemies from the eastern parts (e.g. Palmyra).

They would fit very nicely to the existing roman ranges (but could also create renges of their own)

all good points here,would love to see.

"for some reason opponents to the Romans aren't selling in same volumes as the Romans"

As far as I am concerned, the main reason for not buying many sets representing Roman enemies is that the enemies of the Romans have, for the greater part, not been very well researched by the manufacturers. Personally, I am most interested in Rome’s most powerful enemies, the Parthians and Sasanians, and it’s specifically those, I’m talking of.

The best figures of Roman opponents around may be the Carthaginians and Macedonians but only useful for the early Roman period. For the late Republic and Imperial periods, most of the Roman enemies sets made by Strelets or HaT, or even Zvezda, are far from being satisfactory. It's not enough to use Phil Barker's wargaming guides or Osprey booklets, or the internet, as a source. One would have to check the scholarly archaeological literature firsthand, especially the journals, volume by volume, and that would take an enormous amount of time.

Clearly, the sculptors of Roman opponents feel very unsure about how to sculpt their figures, due to lack of profound knowledge and, as a result, their figures often become ugly in terms of poses and anatomy as well.

Another consequence of this want of knowledge is that only the most basic sets are being made, sometimes only one or two, at best. That means that while for the Romans there is an enormous variety of sets representing many troop types and with many poses available, even their greatest and most many-faceted enemies are represented only by a few pro forma token sets that are not quite attractive. That's why I don't buy a lot of those if any.

The few sets that are around so far just don't meet my expectations (the Sassanid sets announced by HaT aren’t historically accurate either). So, I fear that my Romans will have to go on with shadow-boxing. It's a pity.

Matelot
"for some reason opponents to the Romans aren't selling in same volumes as the Romans"

As far as I am concerned, the main reason for not buying many sets representing Roman enemies is that the enemies of the Romans have, for the greater part, not been very well researched by the manufacturers. Personally, I am most interested in Rome’s most powerful enemies, the Parthians and Sasanians, and it’s specifically those, I’m talking of.

The best figures of Roman opponents around may be the Carthaginians and Macedonians but only useful for the early Roman period. For the late Republic and Imperial periods, most of the Roman enemies sets made by Strelets or HaT, or even Zvezda, are far from being satisfactory. It's not enough to use Phil Barker's wargaming guides or Osprey booklets, or the internet, as a source. One would have to check the scholarly archaeological literature firsthand, especially the journals, volume by volume, and that would take an enormous amount of time.

Clearly, the sculptors of Roman opponents feel very unsure about how to sculpt their figures, due to lack of profound knowledge and, as a result, their figures often become ugly in terms of poses and anatomy as well.

Another consequence of this want of knowledge is that only the most basic sets are being made, sometimes only one or two, at best. That means that while for the Romans there is an enormous variety of sets representing many troop types and with many poses available, even their greatest and most many-faceted enemies are represented only by a few pro forma token sets that are not quite attractive. That's why I don't buy a lot of those if any.

The few sets that are around so far just don't meet my expectations (the Sassanid sets announced by HaT aren’t historically accurate either). So, I fear that my Romans will have to go on with shadow-boxing. It's a pity.

i do get your point,but any new sets of enemies would at least be a start.i dont need any roman civil war figures,already have those.

Strelets
... for some reason opponents to the Romans aren't selling in same volumes as the Romans, that makes us wonder how these Romans are used and if the opponents are needed at all.

Straight to the point. The same happens about ww2 germans and napoleonic french. The reasons may be the following:

1) people are sick and prefer the "bad guys" - of course there are no true "bad guys" in history, but most people don't know history

2) romans are everybody's enemies - romans fought against everybody else, so whatever ancient civilization you collect, you probably will need some roman opponents to face. The same is true about ww2 germans and napoleonic french.

3) people are fond of civil wars, and field romans against other romans. who knows?

As for me, I have to admit, I prefer buying Rome's enemies rather than romans themselves, those I started collecting mainly as opponents to my other armies. I bought a lot of Rome's enemies - dacians, celts, greeks, carthaginians and many others - and then I realized I didn't have enough romans to stand against them

same here,i find gaul and germanic warriors more interesting.

Re: NEED ENEMIES

Dear Cappy,

apart from most recent Arms series and Jacobites we don't normally pack figures in plastic bags, probably they were packed by the shop that you're receiving these sets from.

On the issue of the opponents to the WWII sets your message is noted.

Best regards,

Strelets

packing

True
Never had a Strelets figure set in a plastic bag and I have quite a few. They fill the box when they are on the sprue and the figures are moulded in polyethylene so they bend but don't break. They sound like BUM models. Caesar pack figures in small bags and then in a box but they are not the type that break either.

David

Re: packing

David O'Brien
True
Never had a Strelets figure set in a plastic bag and I have quite a few. They fill the box when they are on the sprue and the figures are moulded in polyethylene so they bend but don't break. They sound like BUM models. Caesar pack figures in small bags and then in a box but they are not the type that break either.

David

same here,never had them in a bag or broken.

Need enemies, well say something Dave Hennen does not like and your wish will come true

Chinese Gordon
Need enemies, well say something Dave Hennen does not like and your wish will come true
Alan Buckingham from the HaT Forum, who daily sounds like a child that can't get his gifts, and continues to come to the S*R Forum looking for a fight, ... Alan, and tells us to pull our pants down and play with our (?), Well up yours Alan Buckingham. Obviously you havn't forgotten. Read below. Volunteer your time to get off the beach if you don't have a job to go to. You promised below ...

"I have done nothing here or anywhere else to provoke you,nore will I."

Right, Alan, you never have and never will. Your words, Alan Buckingham, not mine. Thank heavans this forum doesn't haven't to suffer your constant nagging like on the other forum.

But I'll tell you what, start a VOTE AGAINST DAVE HENNEN = GARRISON CLAY on either or both Forums - HaT and S*R and I'll see the result and will respectfully bow out once you have proven after the past 15 years of 1/72 Foruming.

Alan Bucklingham - Get your 1 Negative vote and No Positives, and I'm gone.

Oh, Alan, sorry about your heart attack between 2005 and 2006. You're right, docs must be wrong. Keep up your attitude!

Dave,next time your in walmart dont forget to pick up a sense of humour. Cappy, see what I mean,

back to his point,i also would like some enemies in the strelets style as well.i dont know why the sets produced have not sold well,the ones ive managed to get look good.the others ive not seen yet,so i thought they where a hot seller.

Funny you should mention Walmart, Alan. Periodically, forumers ask each other how they store their collections? For my hobby collection, I purchased 3 Sterilite 4-shelf storage cabints on summer close-out for $25 U.S. each ($97 retail). These things stand nearly 6' tall. I got about 25 Plano ProLatch clear plastic organizers at about $5 each on sale and Bingo! When I want more, I order online and they ship for free to the store for pickup. I've checked every other retailer online and instore such as Sears, Home Depot and Lowes, and the prices can't be beat. Their people actually do the best job at getting good quality items in bulk and keep prices low or have access to them online. I don't actually enjoy going into the stores because of the crowds like anyone else, which is why I order online, but it's no worse than most stores these days plus I've reorganized my collection and garage at very reasonable costs.

And when new boxes of figures arrive, such as Romans, Boer Wars, Zulu Wars etc., I just pop them into the cabinets on the shelves until I find time to enjoy them.

Say what you want, but I've got all my collection out of the sunlight, in minimal space, and all in brand new cabinets and organizers for under $200. I feel pretty good about this especially since I'm protecting the thousands of dollars invested in my collection.

I just noticed it's snowing outside right now, which means I'm going to have a White Christmas this year.

Happy Holidays & Happy Collecting!

..And a merry christmas and happy new year to you.

Re: WE DON'T NEED ENEMIES

Dave
I am likely to have a wet Christmas 12-13 degrees C. Just right but a bit too wet for some. The money I save on heating can be spent on other things (eg model figures) rather than keeping multi national commodities investors happy with their fat profits from UK utilities. White Christmasses begin and end with Bing Crosby for me but each to their own.

I like the sound of your archive it sounds impressive. I used to get paid to do things like that but it was enjoyable-order out of chaos. Your solution is thrifty as well. Maybe some pics of it in the future.

I am afraid I have been side tracked into 1/76th scale die cast vehicles for the moment- WWII fire and rescue vehicles-Food Flying Squad column to come. No chance of anybody making the figures to go with them so I will have to make my own.

Good luck with your collecting

David

Re: WE DON'T NEED ENEMIES

Well Guys, lets see ...

The large, clear Plano ProLatch Organizer. The picture shows it's especially good for those who enjoy fishing as well ;-) I can stand up an Airfix Wagon, but doubt it's tall enough if based for Wargaming. Still, It's pretty tall w/3 long horizontal rows; all the vertical rows are separate pop-in/pull out dividers so any size:

Large Plano ProLatch Organizer/there is a great Medium size too:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Large-Pro-Latch-Organizer/16351078

Sterilite 4-Shelf Utility Storage Cabinet (They are $79.88 singles instore, but seasonal items ($158 is for 2):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Shelf-Utility-Storage-Cabinet-Putty-01428501-2-Pack/21910425

Sterilite Storage Box, 6 qt (99 Cents/OK $1 instore) great for paints, glues, sprews, parts, small buildings etc:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Storage-Box-6-qt/17300767

P.S.

The Putty Colour is neutral enough to put anywhere in the house as well as garage to be used for towels, washroom supplies etc. If you've got children with Football cleats and muddy/dusty equipment, they make a great Foot Locker too. After my collection, I paid the $79.88 to put one in each room of my home.

There is no doubt I got lucky at $25 for the big cabinets at closeout. I always walk by the display every time I go there just in case. Walmart ain't Macy's! but they do have good values.

Cheers Mates!