Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strelets Russian Artillery - Crimean War

If I can use them, I need a battle where the allies had no artillery.
I don't know of any. Do you.?

Cheers,

Stan.

No.., caan't say that I do..heh

gards,

Peter

Horse artillery not present
- there are some battles to do with the siege of Sevastopol that only use heavy artillery eg French storming of the Malakoff or the earlier British attack on the Redan. The Russians had 18pdrs which were a bit like the Strelets ones. The French and British artillery would be "off the board" and heavy or siege artillery.

David

Hey David,

The British must have had some field artillery in use at some point during the campaign.
Just curious..

Regards,

Peter

Peter
Field (RA & RHA) as opposed to siege
Of course they did for example
Alma - 1 troop of RHA attached to the Light Brigade but each division had their RA batteries
Inkerman- 7 RA batteries. In fact the batteries were rallying points and Russian objectives.

They are often missed off orders of battle.

With Sevastopol the British field artillery esp RHA was deployed to face threats from the East which never really materialised after Inkerman. The French and Sardinians deployed their field artillery at the battle of Chernaya so the threat did materialise but in a different sector.

David

David,

Thanks for the info - I'm reading up on the Crimean campaign and artillery is mostly mentioned in regards to Balaclava of course and the siege.

Would like to see Strelets produce more artillery still..

Regards,

Peter

Royal Artillery and Royal Horse Artillery guns were towed by horses the latter at a cavalry pace. I am not sure in a battle like Inkerman where the horses were after the guns had been emplaced as they had to be reasonably close but not close enough to be shot. Smaller RA field pieces could be manhandled and chains and ropes were provided for this and infantry could be detailed to help . Short distances or minor changes of position therefore could be man powered but horses had to be on hand. RHA horses were always kept close but still quite a distance from the guns. RHA often had spare teams towing a limber and no gun. All of the field artillery sets are short of horses.

David