Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Russian expansian and potential expansion in the east

Dear Frank,

you've touched a sensitive spot. It's our dream of long ago to produce few sets for Russian conquest of Turkestan based on Vereschagin's paintings ( http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%89%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%BD,_%D0%92%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%92%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87 ). The only thing that stops us from doing this range is that it's pretty obscure theme little known even in Russia not mentioning people from abroad. Our ventures in RTW are less commercially successful than mainstream themes and we wouldn't like to end up with a stock of sets that aren't selling.

Best regards,

Strelets

Re: Russian expansian and potential expansion in the east

SO there will be a chance to make this period popular
and it is always possible to make limited editions of sets.

RTW BAIL OUT win win / Streltsi general !

Hello Strelets ,

yes i know its ,another blood rush from me. I am sorry i was born this way so forgive me.

If you make an ACW generic infanterie set, BLUE GRAY AND BUTTERNUT RED sprues one of each in a box
with a streltsi general as the joker figure.

please consider as this meets alot of collectors desires. win win win.

it would likely rebound sales on your RTW sets.

The RTW Russians seem very very compatable infantries and artillery figures and easy convertable by paint brush alone. Especially the Russin RTW sets. The artillery in coats thats generic yankee/rebel gray coat blue or gray kepis how easy does it get ? same with winter figures in coats.

I will paint a VMI battalion using Russian summer Infanterie.teh VMI used cloth legging wrap/ puttees? and will be painted so.

these summer figures are good for yankee or rebel infanterie.the boot line can be painted up to trousers very easily. Rolled blankets awesome rig de guerre.

SR Every one applauds your diversity with what you have produced from day 1 and your presentation of Russian history which is immense. keep up the good work.

whats to lose ? if it helps sell RTW then it should help recover a loss.

Re: Inspiration for Strelets

Definitely YES for the Foreign Legion - my vote would be classic Beau Geste or Conquest of Algeria (1840's).

Also a yes for Russian conquests in Central Asia.

Great ideas, both.

the central asia figures,i think would be a good seller.i mean i never heard of cumens and peschnegs before,but they are very versatile figures from orion.you should go with your heart strelets and make the figures.

Our ventures in RTW are less commercially successful than mainstream themes - Strelets

Predictable, but Dragon( a mainstream manufacturer) has made a kit of the German NBF Nr3-5 tank of which 3 were made in reality and now do the version of which two were made ie Nr1-2. I suppose the knack is finding the right kind of obscurity. There are several 1/72nd scale aircraft models of very obscure types and lots of Spitfires and Me109s of mediocre to very poor quality. If the niche is identified and the quality is right then obscure subjects should sell well. Zvezda do Sengoku period Japanese figures in plastic which nobody else (apart from Redbox) does as I supposed others deem it to be off the well beaten track. I would guess somebody at Zvezda is enthusiastic about this period of 16th c Japan and decided to go where their heart is (to paraphrase Tom S).

David

David O'Brien
Our ventures in RTW are less commercially successful than mainstream themes - Strelets

Predictable, but Dragon( a mainstream manufacturer) has made a kit of the German NBF Nr3-5 tank of which 3 were made in reality and now do the version of which two were made ie Nr1-2. I suppose the knack is finding the right kind of obscurity. There are several 1/72nd scale aircraft models of very obscure types and lots of Spitfires and Me109s of mediocre to very poor quality. If the niche is identified and the quality is right then obscure subjects should sell well. Zvezda do Sengoku period Japanese figures in plastic which nobody else (apart from Redbox) does as I supposed others deem it to be off the well beaten track. I would guess somebody at Zvezda is enthusiastic about this period of 16th c Japan and decided to go where their heart is (to paraphrase Tom S).

David

I think in the Dragon case it was a case of scraping the barrel to find yet anothe German AFV ! Lets face it stick an iron cross onto the back end of a plastic model of a donkey and the manufacturer would have a ready audience! One only have to look at the large number German WW2 fantasy (those that never got off the drawing board) tanks and aircraft that are available as models. Good luck to those who want such models!

For my part I think that the Stretlet Arms will do well and should be expanded. There are so many possibilities for artillery pieces that have never been attempted in plastic!

RCD

Plenty of mainstream WWII German afv subjects for Dragon to do like the Panzer I or II for example. I suppose people choose obscure models because they are attractive and attract those who are fed up with doing yet another Tiger I at Kursk.
The other major point was about quality. The donkey would sell well if it was well sculpted and designed etc. The Arms series has the potential to be attractive but they have to compare with HaT (not the polyethylene ones), Ace and others in white metal and resin. No reason to assume at this stage that they wont as they haven't been introduced yet( they may better them). British WWI Heavy Artillery is not exactly mainstream so they are being adventurous with these. Proof of this would be, as you state, they haven't been attempted before in plastic.
I collect the models and I am not really interested in what sells well. It has no effect on my choice. Furthermore, I haven't a clue what sells well. Things that I consider to be crude, old fashioned, etc just fly off the shelves. There is no accounting for taste or lack of it.
I realise that a manufacturer, no matter how philanthropic, does regard sales as a very important factor. They are taking the risks with their money. If Strelets want to make plastic bath toys for the under fives because that gives a better return- OK by me. I get the feeling that Strelets enjoy what they are doing and would probably seek a compromise that combines a measure of commercial success with their undeniable enthusiasm for the hobby. In the end, only they know where to draw the line.

David

SR just make em. we buy em out of curiosity

re your comment on RTW infantry sales maybe they
could be rebooted by a peripheral and generic ACW set. ponder ! i throw that on the floor again./

i think many of us would just buy teh obscure sets for curiosity . i buy a set hist for a particular standard or horse saddle.

I guess i return to Silistra this weekend scenics
maling are not motivating me.

dare i say

SPARTACUS set ??? that frustrates me more reading psr and i think it brings down SR more tham Linear B/
pity as roman figures are so cool.

okay vancouver i return very soon be pleased i visit again Canada 5th time in 2 year/over to victoria and the island also this time.