Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lets Have More Romans

I've never been a big Strelets fan but I'm really looking forward to the new Roman sets - kudos to Strelets for both the Caesar and "Republican" sets which look top.

While Strelets are in the Roman mood there are two other Roman sets I'd like them to consider - firstly Late Roman Infantry in the mini-set style. Both HaT and Italeri do Late Romans but they suck, if Strelets could repeat the quality of their new masters for a set of Late Romans they'd sell loads.

Secondly how about C3rd Century Romans, or Middle Imperial Romans as wargamers call them? This was a transitional period between the classic Hollywood Roman and the Late period - no-one's done it before in plastic, very few have done it in metal and the C3rd was very dramatic in terms of wars both civil and external.

Just a few thoughts!

Re: Lets Have More Romans

Alex K
...Both HaT and Italeri do Late Romans but they suck...
In what way do they "suck"? Do you mean HaT and Italeri suck? Or the figures suck? What is it about them that sucks? What could they have done to make them not suck?

Giving answers to those questions would turn your comment into constructive criticism that Strelets could use to avoid making another set that sucks.

Similarly, you might say why you have not, until now, been a big fan of Strelets. Doing so would give some constructive criticism to Strelets so that they avoid a retrograde step.

Your will, my hands....

I like Strelets natural looking poses, I like their historical accuracy and I like the mini-sets with all unique but similar poses - a shieldwall or marching, etc. What I haven't liked is their often poor mould quality and lumpen, dwarfish proportions. It's a love/hate thing!

IMO the new Roman masters show a big improvement in sculpting, it reminds me of when HaT showed their first El Cid set or their MAC Napoleonics - it makes you think "Wow! That's how good all 1/72 figures should be!" It's that new, crisp, less stunted style shown in the new masters that I want to see more of from Strelets.

Regards the suckery of HaT and Italeri - I like HaT and Italeri's figures but both of them dropped the ball with their Late Romans (although the HaT cavalry is good). The HaT figures look like they're doing the splits, the Italeri set look like they're breakdancing, their shields are wrong (the arm straps) and in both cases the poses look weak and arbitrary. This is the big strength of Strelets' mini-sets with natural poses that look like a bunch of guys ready to do battle not people at a rock concert waving their arms around.

Hope that helps explain my position a bit better, pda! But my main point isn't the past but the future - how awesome Late and Middle Imperial Romans would be done this well.

I positively agree with alex...
The ages of Severus,Diocletian and Constantine could be better covered by Strelets
I think is a good idea!

I actually like most of Hat's late Roman line, Lucky Toys not so much so, and Italeri's not to bad.
That being said, I fully agree that Strelete's could do a great job and most likely a better job, in an area of the market not yet overly saturated.

A mix of greys and tans, would make them more compatable with Hat's and Italeri's stuff

I support idea of III AD and more late romans.Italieri set has dull poses, HAt are not bad but it is quie old set. First of all have infantry is needed We need to have roman legionares from all their history

Welp! "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." And we all certainly have our tastes, passions, favorites and not.

What I'll mention here is that just like S*R's Crimean Range, their Roman Range just, plain "Excites!" me about the Era. Their Range's sets all compliment the next and previous ones. The Color is great and consistent.

The Sculpting is "Dramatic."

I'm keeping one of each Sprew complete just to look at to remind me that these 1/72 Soldiers are here now in our collections to "Give us the Complete Package!" - "The Complete Roman Army!"

I've already done some head swops with the Roman helmets onto the stretcher bearers to look like after battle activities.

I started day-dreaming how to make a Roman Marching Fort out of the Airfix Fort Apache (stockade) which appears to made of planks, rather than logs.

Airfix's Roman Fort is already, for my tastes, one of the best ever 1/72 ready-made-kit forts ever produced. S*R's Legions and Auxilliaries look superb defending her walls. Her stature shows them-off in the tradition of the Beau Geste Legionnaires in the Fort Sahara all by itself - in an isolated outpost!

S*R woke-up my childhood Ancient Roman passion like no other's makers soft plastic sets since I was a grade-school using tracing paper wishing I had actual 1/72 Soldiers in my hands instead.

So I hope everyone keeps encouraging S*R to make more Roman Sets, and in Colors (someday) too. As for now, I sure love the Deep, Gray color. Keep the Range going like this for now, is my wish.

Glad to see some support for the idea! C3rd especially as this would be Strelets breaking new ground - hope they're listening!

Since I couldn't wait for the new figs I picked up a box of the Praetorians this weekend and got a few painted.

Dear Alex,

Don't forget there are Foot and Horse Praetorians, both equally cool! I got an extra Mounted set just for the excellent "Eagle" pose, like in the just released movie "The Eagle." All have lots of parts for Conversions too. Really neat helmets. Can't wait for the new Big Box to supplement these guys.

"All roads lead to Rome" and I hope all Romans are lead to my desk! Cheers

Praetorian Cohort and Mounted Praetorians Links:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1801

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1563