Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strelets British artillery in egybt

Mmh... then, if possible, an extra sprue with shako-wearing heads would be a great addition.

The figure in the Haythornthwaite book is in the earlier uniform and not that officially worn in Egypt.
The artillerymen should have stovepipe shakos and not the hats shown. Officers on the other hand would have worn a selection of hats as they could get away with wearing what they liked! Well at least on campaign.
The hats need changing to shakos for better accuracy.

However, that said they still look a pretty good set, but a few extra heads in shakos would turn them into an excellent set.

hi Pete,

I'm always up for spare heads, so your idea of having some in shakos is a good one.

as the set stands, i think it is ok on the accuracy front:

the strelets british line are wearing the roundhat, presuambly as a concession to the heat of egypt, so perhaps the artillery would too. Haythonthwaite and Franklin suggest this item was often worn in preference to the cocked hat on campaign, rather than that it succeeded it as regulation headgear.

i like the look of the french cavalry, and am looking forward to the british horse.

cheers, steve

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the British went to Egypt AFTER Napoleon's army. And remained there shortly (1800-1803?). So, if the army went there for this short period, even the question of supplies would not apply.

I don't say the set is not accurate, but seems to me that it is not for what Strelets suggests.

Hi David,

you caught my post before i could amend it to the one above!

Yes the British were sent after the adoption of the shako, but many units/individuals seems to have replaced it on campaign with the roundhat.

From that point of view, i think the title 'British artillery in Egypt' is well realised by the set. From what i've read, it would also be ok for continental adventures pre-1800. One possible issue that i can't make out from the photo is whether or not the figs have lapels or just have open jackets. the former would be more of an issue given that Franklin says the coatee without lapels was adopted in 1797.

cheers, steve

Hi.
If fact, I found a picure on the web with these hats, saying the units were somewhere in the Low Countries. And the uniform is the way we can also see in the set!

I wish the set could give us more possibilities. Extra heads with shakos would be a good start.