Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Roman Republican Legion Big Box

They must be on their way to meet Spartacus and his Army. This line would be a great big box set, have the three Spartacus sets, plus a set of appropriate extra and/or with, the three Roman sets,also with a set of extras and some personalities too.

I sure hope these three Roman sets and the Spartacus Army M077 will not be limitted exclusively to linear-B

I have never been a great fan of strelets figures due to the standard of sculpting, but these figures look great. If they turn out to be as good as the masters I will be adding them to my Roman Army

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! They are EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
paul

I am also impressed by this set.They look interesting, their helmets are both coolus and montoferino, so they fit for Roman civil wars and Teutoburg, too.I am waiting for set Roman legion in battle....!

caesarians, definitely.
Montefortino
very good

Re: Roman Republican Legion on the March

Although a nice looking set I think that there is an error with the hanging 4 leather strap groin guard. From the books that I have in my collection this was only used when the Romans wore their banded metal armour that only reached down to the waist. For these Republican Romans with ring mail reaching down to the knee this would be unnecessary.

Best regadrds,

Malcolm

no pteruges with lorica hamata

I think you are right, Malcolm.

nice presentation as well

Strelets seem to have improved their photography as well. Nicely exposed and sharp. The final photo has good depth of field and shows what they look like together. The bonus Strelets looks good as well. I am sure fans of this period will be pleased despite the chain mail looking like pteruges. An old soldering iron or hot pin could be be enough to modify them but better if they started off by looking like chain mail.

David

Re: nice presentation as well

these are full of character and movement, and are a great addition to the range. i can just imagine them stopping off at a tavern (then halfway home wishing they'd used the pot before they'd left....)

On the subject of the cingulum apron, i agree that it is commonly associated with the lorica segmentata (although the protection was presumably more psychological than real), and most Marian Romans are shown without.

However (and i accept that the following are technically mostly imperial rather than republican per se, but i'm not sure that had a huge impact on army equipment), Barker in WRG 'Armies and enemies of imperial rome' shows an early 1st century AD legionary with apron and chainmail, whilst the osprey volume on the Roman army from Caesar to Trajan has several depictions of blokes with chainmail and aprons.

Perhaps it would be better to have some figures with it, and some without?

cheers, steve

Apron and Mail

Apron and Mail occur at Kalrieser so first century AD also theres a number of early Rhineland stele that show this combination no evidence for earlier use exists that I know of but I would give 50 years before Varus on principle to allow for development, so mid 1st century BC...

Cheers

Re: Apron and Mail

ill like the srelsy figure moust