Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: British Foot Artillery

I have seen what you have done GC and that inspired me to get the British Foot Artillery. The crews will end up with my Alamo Mexicans. The stacked muskets with my ACW Rebels. My second box of British Foot Artillery troops will go with my "West Point" figures, a few other ones from various Napoleonic sets, Thin Grey Line.

Since the limber box is split, I am thinking of using it to tow heavy WWII German artillery. The type that uses a separate limber for the barrel and a second limber for the carriage.

The WWII German Artillery set by Revell IMHO is the finest WWII set ever made and maybe the best of all sets. If it was made out of a glueable plastic it would be perfect.

Naturally anything I make will be published on my blog. I hope to pick up another set next weekend and probably will not do any work until then.

Something else Mike you will want to know. The wheels on the WWII German limber are much smaller than the British limber's/cannons wheels. However the wheels for both sets are interchangable, at least the wooden spoked ones are. You only need to use your fingernail and gently spread the axle-end to help hold the wheel on better.

The WWII style Boer Limber has the much larger British Limber/cannon wheels. I think it simply "looks" better.

Also, the British cannon's wheels were used on the WWII German cannons to make up the Boer War British Naval gun for one, and the WWII steel wheels to make up the later Naval Gun. The British cannon's wheels were also used to make up the Boer cannon hooked up to the limber. That cannon was the split trail option which were pinched and melted together underneith, then a cut up limber ring pegged onto it.

BTW, the 2 Pom-pom guns were very enjoyable to make using the British cannon with the Atlantic Russian cannons barrels. The British one has an armour plate, the Boer without.

Those two sets absolutely gave me the most fun of any artillery sets. Such versatility.

Uwe Wild inspired me to make up a conversion of the WWII German limber as a Caisson. I shortened the center pull and put a new ring on it to be pulled behind the British limber, plus a spare wheel mounted on the back, and then a cannon behind the Caisson. All pulled by elephants. These pics never got sent in as a Contribution as it was made up just to share with Uwe. I've got them in my computer (somewhere in a folder) and will email them to you via your blog. But give me a few days. I've got some appointments this week I've got to be prepared for so be patient.

I very much look forward to seeing your work too! So in the mean time, I'll keep checking your Blog - Bunker Talk. Cheers!

well thats interesting . like bunker mike guy i had thought about using arillerie guys with mexican (imex) But i converted my mexican infantry and artillerie to be 1853 light infanterie and artillerie for my Tunisien contingent in my Silistra diodrama.
its a great imex set very under rated, poses and american set very era authentic.

the artillerie sets stacked rifles are so oh acw/fpw looking going by contemporary artists sketches etc.
i wish they makde an entire box of 50 of these rifles stacked alone.

the limber horses are good look liek they are reacting to battel noises etc and sculpted in good motion postures.very commendable.The limber seat gap can can be filled with putty also as a suggestion.
and used for multitude of things but 1 limber per set makes it expensive.

another use for guns is to display them outside a town like a trophy of previous wars.i will place some older russian guns(zvezda peter the great art set) in my model of silistra mosque compound as representing such.

okay have a fun week

PS...after busy 3 weeks , i am down to 400 figures left to paint for silistra btw.plus many TOWN AND WALL scenics done.