50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hillclimb

For those of you who would like to see how the other half live,
I am driving a Mk21 Mallock owned by Richard Churchley at the prestigeous Shelsley Walsh hillclimb. 21/22 August. It is a British round of the RAC championship with a wide range of cars ranging from Alfa's to F1. Shelsley is 10 miles south west of Worcester.
Practice is on Saturday, It's a awesome hill with the top cars doing in excess of 130mph, I'll be doing 100 if im lucky.
Hope to see some of you there.
If not at Silverstone a week after.
Richard

Re: Hillclimb

Richard is dead right - if you've never been to Shelsley your 'motor sport cv' is incomplete - it is great fun as you are so close to the action in beautiful surroundings. I might just go on the 22nd.....

Good luck Richard!

Yes, we're with you. I was at Shelsley two years ago for the centenary (or was it five years ago) and was warmly welcomed by Peter Harper who was very quick in his Classic Mallock. A the V16 BRM etc. Extraordinary event. I was stunned by the quality of the drivers. On a circuit you can make a small error and correct. On a hill climb you can't. There's a wall.

Have great fun and keep all our flags flying.

I'll buy you a pint if you beat 30 secs....

Had a great weekend driving Richard Churchley's Mk21. Massive crowds and over 200 cars compeating with approx 10 Mallocks. One with a 240hp engine that was the fastest normally asperated front engine car of the meeting.
I did not exactly set the world alight, I was 2.5 sec off the pace, But trying to judge braking distances at 100mph whil going up a 1 in 9 hill on a 15ft wide road is not easy.
The starts were great fun with 5.1 diff doing the first 64 ft in 2.12 sec (F1 cars were doing it in 1.89) We got interviewed on the lacal TV which gave Richard Churchley's Royal Nave assosiation a good plug. I handed out plenty of Clubmans brochures. A great weekend and i know Mark would have loved it.
With cars running to A class Clubmans spec except no restrictions on valves ignition or chokes. they really were well suited.

Sounds great fun
Sorry we had to miss it..............

Yes I can confirm it was a great day out. Fine weather, a huge knowledgeable crowd, more than you get at the average Silverstone clubby, and some spectacular driving. I was nice to get back to a Hillclimb if only to spectate after all those years away from it. If you would like to see some pictures of Clubmans cars at the event go to the Mallock Club website at www.mallockclub.com and follow the link.