50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Proto power

I'm with you Sunroof as one of the Proto reps. I'm sure Steve as the other will be too. The communication between all interested parties should continue rather than be censored (unless it is abusive) or closed down. I am sure those are Brian Jordan's criteria as this is his website anyway.

The increase to 1600cc as you say was to facilitate Wyd's intention to run a hill climb engine they already had in order to save cost in the (re)construction of his Vision. He proposed 1600, we voted, simple as that and no more nor less scientific.

In similar vein as stated elsewhere in this thread- we originally allowed the 1300cc BE to accommodate the development in play of Peter Burnham and Martin Covill - the car that raced again this year at Silverstone Int'l. On the basis that the BHP is limited to 200, then it is actually difficult to argue against any particular capacity of either BE or CE if it is 4 cylinders which in some ways will limit achievable torque.

The essence (you choose whether that should be Clubmans as a whole or CSP 1 / proto) is and has to be to free up the (race) engineers and the engineering thinking - getting back to our roots. Some innovative thinking and development.

I too was surprised that Sam thinks he can get a complete car with BE and its transmission down to 350kgs but then we are not aware of the provenance of the car - i.e. was it a lightweight Hillclimb car originally??

The 2 lightest cars we encountered since 1998 were the Phantom built by Kimber Crossley as a Cup (S1600) car which with Kimber's ingenuity turned up at 392kgs (so about 320 sans K engine) and which of course gave rise to Dick Mallock proposing the 420kgs weight limit that was adopted. That car is now the A Class Phantom owned and campaigned by Steve Chaplin.

Then we faced the 'Sideshow' Bob Davies car (cannot remember it's name) which was so light it did have a steel plank fitted to the chassis to achieve minimum weight but which was not especially popular with scrutineers, went like stink in a straight-line but was a total menace to everybody in corners because it had no downforce and ultimately was accused of being the progenitor of the biggest start line accident we ever had. ...

Ironically of course, having proposed the 1600BE Wyd is not now going that route!!

So what at present this comes down to is that we have certain regs for the CSP1 / Proto class which have not been 'framed' so as to favour one or other type of permitted car. Being in control of our own regs' means we have the delight that we can create new classes or sub classes should the need arise. After all, what the Proto people are about is getting more people racing with us not fewer!

For now though, let's welcome the return of the true engineer / racer to our midst and the ingenuity they might bring, it looks like being an interesting time with 6 or 7 different engine routes being followed.

I was asking the question, and not making a point.

Apologies for not attending the meeting, would there be any worth in relaying some of the major points to those not able to attend, perhaps they are noted somewhere ?

A bike engine to 1600, is this to get a reliable 200bhp?

440kg, the advantage to lighter engined cars being weight placed strategically?

"I have detected no bias against motorcycle engined cars", ....havent you?

So the ethos of both car types being of the same minimum weight is, BEC can achieve the same engine power and seq box as a CEC but for less cash? and the weight minimum enabling more structural bracing and safety protection to be utilized?

Excuse my interest and favor of debate, but i'd like to get a reasonable picture of the class and if my project is worth carrying on with.

No one mentioned censorship until you Jamie.

I simply invited the participants to consider that the thread had run its course. We have agreed the regs for next year including Proto weight and power.

Perhaps a new thread on how to make your car as light as possible and maximise safety might be good.

You're considering the torque at the crank.
Bike engines rev higher, use higher ratios and 6 gears...... I'd be considering the torque at the wheels.
I know what engine I'd put in a Phantom and it would probably be less than 1600cc ;-)

All approx figures, no feathers though, they didnt help Icarus to fly so ill leave them out.

Ill weigh the car this weekend, come back with some figs.

Its a well engineered car, extensive rear crash protection and a design in place for side impact strength to act away from the drivers area if sideways load is experienced.