The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sad news - Justin Foley

One time Clubmans competitor and multiple lap record holder, and son of Barry (Catchpole), Justin Foley, died on Sunday (17th April) - in London, cause unknown. For further news contact me (email link below). For those who know the family, Liz and Amanda are ok with receiving phone calls.

Re: Sad news - Justin Foley

Very sad news and my thoughts are with Amanda, Liz and Jansri and to the many friends he has entertained over his life. Had not seen Justin for many years, he was certainly a character and great fun on and off the track, many a race memory but one etched in my mind was Spa 1998, the below extract from old site sums up his talent.

Round 10, Spa (Belgium), Saturday September 12th 1998
Foley stars in Belgium

Justin Foley (Harlow) was the star of the day as the tenth round of the 1998 RDS Automotive Rover K Sports 1600 Championship took drivers to the world- famous Spa-Francorchamps circuit (Belgium) on Saturday (September 12th). Despite starting on slick racing tyres on a damp track, Foley drove brilliantly to win convincingly and finished ahead of many of the more powerful Supersports cars in the concurrent race.
For virtually all of the 22-strong field of Rover K-powered sports-racing cars, this was a first-ever experience of the incredible 4.5-mile track set in the Ardennes Mountains in Belgium. As the venue for the Belgian Grand Prix, the circuit is widely recognised as one of the most challenging in the world. In dry qualifying on Friday afternoon, Mark Pierce (Hertfordshire) set the pace to claim the Mintex Pole Position Award by lapping at an average speed close to 100mph.

Conditions in the build up to the race were difficult as the track dried after earlier heavy rain. Then, as the cars lined up on the grid on slick racing tyres, another shower of rain made the track slippery once more. However, the whole field safely negotiated the first corner and Foley charged away with a remarkable drive in very testing conditions. With a 10-second lead over his rivals, Foley was racing in with the 2-litre Supersports cars and that almost led to his downfall when he tangled with one of them on the last lap. But, with damaged bodywork he still got the car over the line for a famous win. Tony Richardson (Cheshire) led the chase of Foley while Tom Bellamy (Sheffield) battled through from fifth to claim the RDS Automotive Driver of the Race Award.

RIP Justin

I'm sure we'll recall how fast he was. It's quite sobering as we go to Croft at the weekend to realise that Justin's 1997 lap record still stands.

Croft 1:25.18 88.75 Justin Foley Mallock Mk18B 28.09.1997

Very, very, sad and sudden news about Justin.
Justin was an extremely talented and determined racing driver. Sue & I have many fond memories of being with him, Amanda, Liz and Barry staying in their secluded crofters cottage in Scotland and a 2 week holiday in France, sharing a sail boat and camping. With particular memories of diving down to an Oyster bed (not strictly legal, but the oysters were lovely!).
The Catchpole trophy will have even more significance this year.

Very sad news indeed, our thoughts go his his family and friends.

Having raced against Justin, I can vouch for his outright speed, balls and determination. I often scratched my head, wondering how he lapped so quickly, on such a modest budget in sometimes very difficult conditions.

A talented racing driver, as witnessed firsthand (often from behind!).

Off the track he was fun, personable and a true 'Clubmans' racer in every sense. RIP Justin.