The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RDS wiring diagram

Could some kind person email me a copy of the original, RDS, wiring diagram? Thank you

Re: RDS wiring diagram

Brian i haven't got got the rds one but i do have a generic k series one which the pins are the same

I think a hard copy still exists, not sure if it's electronic.
Why do you need it Brian?

Pete (aka Sven)
I think a hard copy still exists, not sure if it's electronic.
Why do you need it Brian?

Two reasons Pete. The first is that I'd like to complete my archive, but more importantly I'm tidying up the back of my dashboard which over time with the addition of timers etc has become somewhat spaghetti-ish. Before I undo too much it would be nice to know which wires emerging from the harness connect to what?

Steve Dickens
Brian i haven't got got the rds one but i do have a generic k series one which the pins are the same

Do you know if the wires in the generic harness are colour coded the same as the original? If so would you be kind enough to send me a copy? Thanks

Re: RDS wiring diagram (More loom and doom)

Moving on...

I've just been doing some more tidying and now just have a couple of issues where the loom serves the back of the dash. This is what I've deduced by doing some continuity tests.

Can anyone confirm the following to help avoid a fire?

Two wires (one brown, one red) - Ignition switch.

Red/white - starter switch to starter solenoid.
Red - connected here to voltmeter +ve
White/black - tacho signal.
White/brown - Oil pressure light switch.

There is a red wire which emerges from the harness at the front of the engine next to the white/brown oil pressure light switch wire. It isn't used here, is it the other end of the one on the voltmeter? It may be broken in the loom as it doesn't seem to be continuous with anything the other end.

In future I will make sure I have this information to hand before disconnecting the bloody lot all in one go to make cleaning easier!

Thanks all

Brian

Hi Brian

So what's the problem? I don't understand. Does the wire has the label +ve on it? Was it connected before? Does the car still run? The colours you list for the other items are correct.

All sorted now thanks Steve. Everything working as it should.

Mystery red wire Was: RDS wiring diagram (More loom and doom)

At the risk of being boring... I had a chat with Paul Freeman this morning to try to identify the mystery red wire I have been talking about and he is now as confused as me. The picture here shows the wire shares an extension of the loom with the white/brown wire to the oil light switch. The extension comes out of the main loom close to where the coil is connected. Can anyone throw any light on this? It seems to be redundant as it has been insulated and I've tried to do a continuity check and can't find the other end.
Thanks.

Re: Mystery red wire Was: RDS wiring diagram (More loom and doom)

That's why i like carbs, less bullshit....

Onno, that is difficult to argue with, as long as the trumpet nuts don't decide to jump down the inlet. I had that once at Thruxton and the engine swallowed its nuts and bust the valve heads off middle of Church corner at indicated 128mph... that was 'different' ...

Brian
At the risk of being boring... I had a chat with Paul Freeman this morning to try to identify the mystery red wire I have been talking about and he is now as confused as me. The picture here shows the wire shares an extension of the loom with the white/brown wire to the oil light switch. The extension comes out of the main loom close to where the coil is connected. Can anyone throw any light on this? It seems to be redundant as it has been insulated and I've tried to do a continuity check and can't find the other end.
Thanks.

I would guess it was originally for the starter motor fly lead. Its not part of the original loom. cut it out and throw it away haha.

Steve Dickens
I would guess it was originally for the starter motor fly lead. Its not part of the original loom. cut it out and throw it away haha.

Thanks Steve

Correspondence closed as far as I'm concerned

Glad you're sorted Brian. I see the SS has removed a post again!! Hilarious is this censorship.

jamie
Glad you're sorted Brian. I see the SS has removed a post again!! Hilarious is this censorship.

I thought I'd seen something from you other then getting your nuts caught in a carburetor. I just glossed over it without taking it all in. Was it relevant to my wiring problem?

...it's difficult to remember BJ, because I am old now, but I believe that it was along the lines of the red wire in the photo not looking to me like a loom wire because of its dimensions and that it looked more like a wire from a Halfords reel. I think I said that you could unwrap the loom - which is of course allowed by the police- and investigate where it went to , especially as there was no continuity... I think I suggested you could re-wrap in some nice proper loom tape like wot Alex has done in the past. I believe that I also suggested (well more wondered really) that it may be a concern as to the state of looms after 20 years under the high under-bonnet temps (i.e. brittle) and that of course you could as an option always get a nice professional loom made which would weigh a fraction, be very direct, not be capable of anything inappropriate but which would currently mean you would have to race in Proto.

Also of course you could throwaway the loom etc and run a nice pair of Classic A sport carbs but then we are back to the old chestnut of losing your nuts down the damned things as well as running in Proto.

Actualy the more you look at it, the Proto lark looks like quite a good idea!

I hope I don't have to type all this again Brian!!

I don't get all this censorship absent abuse; indeed censorship absent abuse is a form of abuse. Is it because I is black?

Toodlepip.

jamie
...it's difficult to remember BJ, because I am old now, but I believe that it was along the lines of the red wire in the photo not looking to me like a loom wire because of its dimensions and that it looked more like a wire from a Halfords reel. I think I said that you could unwrap the loom - which is of course allowed by the police- and investigate where it went to , especially as there was no continuity... I think I suggested you could re-wrap in some nice proper loom tape like wot Alex has done in the past. I believe that I also suggested (well more wondered really) that it may be a concern as to the state of looms after 20 years under the high under-bonnet temps (i.e. brittle) and that of course you could as an option always get a nice professional loom made which would weigh a fraction, be very direct, not be capable of anything inappropriate but which would currently mean you would have to race in Proto.

Also of course you could throwaway the loom etc and run a nice pair of Classic A sport carbs but then we are back to the old chestnut of losing your nuts down the damned things as well as running in Proto.

I don't get all this censorship absent abuse; indeed censorship absent abuse is a form of abuse. Is it because I is black?

Toodlepip.

I take your point about the Halfords wire but it seems firmly attached to the guts of the loom. It is now a bit academic as I have followed Steve's advice to isolate it. I don't think we are allowed a nice professional loom are we? It just occurs to me that my current loom, which came with my engine in the original RDS batch and has been run in two different cars, has an undocumented wire in it and thus might be illegal. What is your opinion M'lud?

Brian
jamie

Toodlepip.

I take your point about the Halfords wire but it seems firmly attached to the guts of the loom. It is now a bit academic as I have followed Steve's advice to isolate it. I don't think we are allowed a nice professional loom are we? It just occurs to me that my current loom, which came with my engine in the original RDS batch and has been run in two different cars, has an undocumented wire in it and thus might be illegal. What is your opinion M'lud?

Well, on the basis that it is not connected to anything at one end, it is difficult to comprehend what harm it might cause. However, it's potentially a bit worrying on the basis that it's is a known and presumably provable register supplied loom and yet the wire cannot be identified..? I think that if challenged it would be necessary for an objector to state what they thought it was doing and if an official objection was raised then the question would have to be 'back at you' as they supplied it?? It does seem to make the case admirably for a simple neat race loom that connects the ECU to the relevant sensors and electrical supplies and which has a facility for plug in for dash etc. So much more 2016 really..