The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: In favour of Proto

Daniel, nice to see you still dip in.

If you watch my lips I said "on the demise", front engine Vauxhall engine Mallocks I believe were banned at 175bhp. Subsequently the rear engine Supersports got up to 225bhp I think. Anyway it's irrelevant.

I never ever pushed for 240 BHP.

The MCR was purchased to give Adrian rear engine experience.

As you are taking the time to respond and contribute I assume that you are coming next Sunday?

hi Andy

i started racing in 97 with a rear engine vauxhall car against the front engine cars and we had 200bhp then, when we did the winter series at the end of the year we changed the power to 220bhp and the following year the front engine cars began to leave, irrelevant true indeed.

yeah i keep an eye out on things. clubmans has been in my blood from birth ( sorry guys im sticking around, want to come back some day, and go full circle ) so cant not keep my ear to the ground for rubblings.

id love to come but duty calls im afraid ive ridden my luck going racing since candice was born and i think my nuts maybe on the menu if i try another weekend away lol.

hope alls well

dan

Daniel Gibson
hi Andy

i started racing in 97 with a rear engine vauxhall car against the front engine cars and we had 200bhp then, when we did the winter series at the end of the year we changed the power to 220bhp and the following year the front engine cars began to leave, irrelevant true indeed.

hope alls well

dan

Dan congrats for your daughter, if my memory is correct the front engine cars were banned?

There were a few acrimonious meetings and votes

Sounds like there should be another couple of chapters written to "he Lone Furrow", to bring the Clubmans story up to date,particularly in this 50th year.

Marcus,
Great factual article.
The club supported the concept of Proto at the begining and should stand by those people who invested in it and continue to race in it. There are many innovative (innovation was what clubmas was and still is about right?) and cheap ways to get a Proto car on the grid.

I can see why some people would want to see the power capped around the 200-210bhp area as it is cheap and easy to get an engine to that point. Personally, I'm for it but that is beacuse I'm racing an A-Sport next year and I want some close wheel to wheel racing - not bothered about what class it is as long as i'm flat out and dicing.

Why bother limiting the engine type you can have? Cap the power and lets see what crazy stuff turns up. I'd love to see that Wankle Engined Mallock in Clubmans and also the bike engine cars turning up.

There are some forms of club motorsport that have hub dynos, forget speccing ECUs if someone is bothered by how powerful a proto car is they can protest it and get it dyno'd. I've seen the silhoutte Corsa type series do this....

Anyway, lets also remember that the Protos are not that fast - other than the Nemesis cars I don't think another Proto has beaten Mark Chateris right???

TTFN
Jonty
xxx

Jonty

So well put you have summed it all up in one !!