50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matador Clubmans

Hi
Am selling my Matador Clubmans race car rolling shell - see Uphill Racers.
Understand that it has been used as a Sprint/Hillclimb car in the last ten years but I'd be interested in knowing the earlier history. I think it was built for the clubmans series in the 1970s or early 80s.
Any information on the car or its competition history would be helpful. any interest in buying it please e-mail
Thanks
Graeme

Re: Matador Clubmans

If my memory serves me right John Swainston from the Doncaster area built this,he used to be around Northern Clubmans in the 70s

I remember the Matador and meeting John Swainston when he and I raced in F1300 in the early 1990's. John later raced a FF2000 car in (I think) URS.

I have an article from Cars & Car Conversions, July 1992 about John and the Matador. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Alan.

John
Thanks for this - two others have said it was built by John swainston so that must be correct. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply
Regards
Graeme

Alan
Thanks for this would really like a copy of the CCC article if it's not too much trouble.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply
Regards
Graeme

Graeme Manton
John
Thanks for this - two others have said it was built by John swainston so that must be correct. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply
Regards
Graeme

Graeme if one of the two others who have given you John's name was Jolibre on Uphill Racers,thats me

All have covered the history of the car well. Keith Messer (F1300 guru) was recently contacted by Giles Groombridge of the 750MC about the history of this car who in turn contacted me. Nobody I mailed has come back with as much information as has appeared here. The fact that it was described as a Clubmans car by the enquirer is correct in my opinion but it will not be eligible to race with Classic Clubmans in the HSCC series unless the purchaser can obtain an invitation from the Standing Committee to race in their Invitation Class as it is not, in their opinion, a Clubmans car but a F1300 car. It would, of course, be eligible to race with the Register in BARC races.

Alan White-Aldworth
I remember the Matador and meeting John Swainston when he and I raced in F1300 in the early 1990's. John later raced a FF2000 car in (I think) URS.

I have an article from Cars & Car Conversions, July 1992 about John and the Matador. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Alan.

This is a long shot as it has been two years, My dad is John Swainston and he has come across these posts . If anyone needs any information on this car feel free to get in touch.

Alan you mentioned you have an article, do you have a copy of this i would love to pass this on to dad.