The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BARC - new Chief Operating Officer

Announced today - Drew Furlong to join the BARC from the BRSCC
as COO later in the year.

Re: BARC - new Chief Operating Officer

Yes, I've seen reference to this but not an official announcement.
No doubt we will learn more in time....

It's on the BRSCCs web site.

So it is!
But not on BARC's.........

Here's the official anouncment: BARC

The Classic Touring Car Racing Club have announced the following deal with the BARC for their Brands and Pembrey races:

"BARC have agreed for this deal to cover the whole CTCRC at Brands Hatch and Pembrey.

If th club is successful and fills a grid with 15 cars, each competitor will be refunded £25 entrance fee.

If the club is very successful, and fills a grid with 20 cars, each competitor will be refunded £75 entrance fee. Come on Club, let’s go for 20 car grids"

Seems like the new COO is having an impact. Wonder if they are prepared to negotiate similar deals with other series???

Andy, I would have thought that if the Register bought an amount of track time (like Sports 2000) that would be a far better way to do it, you don't get pushed around so much during the meeting and you also save money, but you probably need 20 car entries?

Andy, I guess that's a consideration but I don't know the details of what that would cost. I do know that the CSCC have sold grids in the past and that certain series have even paid extra to guarantee garages and certain time slots! Not sure I'd want to go down that route!

Drew Furlong doesn't start for a little while yet. The BARC announcement of a 6 July start date in Startline isn't correct (I saw him this w/e while at Snetterton with Alex TVR racing).

I am sure he will have an impact at BARC although that may be different to what we may hope for!

If we buy track time as a club, that can work -if you get the entries, so DP would have been fine. But a typical 'slot' such as we occupy would be at least £6,000 - depending on venue, £6-8,000. You have to pay it (well) in advance and so the obvious risks apply if you are a small club that is not underwritten in some way.

What we do need to do, is to change the format of what we do. The races are too short for the effort that goes in etc. A total of 6 hours track time for a whole year??? 3 hours racing a year??? We should at the very least adopt the OSS format of 20 minute quali, 2 x 20 min and 1 x 15 min race over the weekend. That is 15 mins more track time than we currently have (and the entry fee in OSS is less..).

Jamie

If we buy track time as a club, that can work -if you get the entries, so DP would have been fine. But a typical 'slot' such as we occupy would be at least £6,000 - depending on venue, £6-8,000. You have to pay it (well) in advance and so the obvious risks apply if you are a small club that is not underwritten in some way.

What we do need to do, is to change the format of what we do. The races are too short for the effort that goes in etc. A total of 6 hours track time for a whole year??? 3 hours racing a year??? We should at the very least adopt the OSS format of 20 minute quali, 2 x 20 min and 1 x 15 min race over the weekend. That is 15 mins more track time than we currently have (and the entry fee in OSS is less..).

Agree about the risk. It's not easy and don't know the answer.

Do we always have full weekend meetings? One of the costs of racing is overnight stays, and time is also a big issue. I understand that people want to have 2 (or more) races for their travel time but over nighters are not family or wallet friendly.

Any chance of a mix?

The subject of race weekend formats has been discussed many times at our annual drivers meetings. Each time the format we have today (I.e. 6 double header weekends) has been the overwhelming favourite.

Let's not get distracted by this and focus on the important issues of maintaining good grids and bringing down the cost of entry for our members on which there has been some very healthy debate.

Pete (aka Sven)
The subject of race weekend formats has been discussed many times at our annual drivers meetings. Each time the format we have today (I.e. 6 double header weekends) has been the overwhelming favourite.

Ok, Pete, I don't doubt that it's been discussed but how am I meant to know the outcome of that. The way the club organises its meetings doesn't seem to be info that's available easily.

Is there practice and a race on each day? I don't know and that sort of info is important for new recruits to understand. Is there a handy guide somewhere that I have missed?