The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transponders

Just wanting to make sure I get the right type of transponder as ive never had to use one before,is there only one type as the ones ive seen on ebay are 260,i assume these are the correct ones ?

Also has anyone recently taken the ARDS test that can point me in the right direction as to the type of questions asked in the written part other than the flags

Thanks in anticipation
John

Re: Transponders

I'm sure there are cheaper sources than TSL, but this link shows trhe approved transponder types
http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=transponders.

I've never done the ARDS test but I believe the questions are generally flags and other driving standards

In case you don't want to buy directly, the transponders can be hired at the BARC events for about 25 GBP/event. At Zandvoort 10 euro/event.

John, I bought my last one on eBay (£200) a TranX 260 which was rechargeable. Although I prefer the wired-in ones as they are more convenient.

I did hire from TSL but it wasn't a very friendly transaction as there is a strong intonation that you should buy one especially the second time we hired. Finally as I drove into the parc ferme I was attacked by a woman demanding the transponder back almost before I stopped!

Incidentally I have just seen a transponder for sale from Marcus which is wired in, he is offering a 10% discount however when you get to know him you will realise he has too much money, hit him for a bigger discount

Here is one for sale http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/112253-amb-my-laps-race-transponder/

John, make sure you get the red AMB TranX one, in the early days there were some unreliable orange ones about.

Ther's one for sale on racecarsdirect; http://racecarsdirect.com/listing/58090/amb_transponder_tranx_260dp.html

The one on this site has left the country...

I'll bring it back for some events, might be a very fast thing on the Clubmans races this year.

Thanks for all the advice,where on a Mallock is the best place to mount the transponder ?

John Lambert
Thanks for all the advice,where on a Mallock is the best place to mount the transponder ?

I was going to write: 'on a Vision' but didn't want to risk an intergalactic sense of humour failure when posting something genuinely intended as humour ..

so I would go for on the front right of the chassis, just above the bottom rail on the upright tube. That was where I fitted it on my Mallock 23/5. There it will survive the inevitable knocks etc on a nose frame. Mine did even after putting it into the wall at Cascades! The last thing you need is another £300 on a repair bill!

On my Mk29 the plastic bracket is cable tied to the chassis just behind the steering rack on the left hand side. Never managed to break it yet!!

I think the best advice is where it can 'see' the track and (as others have suggested) where it's reasonably protected from any incidents.
I have mine tucked away 'inside' the boot towards the back of the car.

Thanks for the advice chaps

Jamie

I was going to write: 'on a Vision' but didn't want to risk an intergalactic sense of humour failure when posting something genuinely intended as humour ..

@ Jamie; nothing wrong with your humor. The Vision is a good place to put your transponder on but not much people are able to do that as a Vision owner..

The place you put your transponder however is a very nice spot on a Mallock to install your transponder, in fact your transponder has been on my Mallock a few times on that spot.

For Pete, leave yours on the rear please. Safes us the discusion on a photo finish.

Onno - I'm sure you know that the transponder is only used for timing not deciding finishing order.......otherwise we'd all fit them on the front of the nose cone :-)

That's absolutely true Pete, but if you finish 1/2 car length in front of me tsl timing wil show me in front at the listing. In that case it's your consern to get it changed by a fotofinish. Happened to a friend at Monza few years ago. Took him a lot of time to get the organisation changing the results. But that's up to you, changing the location of the transponder is mostly easyer than changing the results.

And yes nosecone is an option but as Jamie says it costs a lot when crashing into the wall. That's why the vertical beam (as Jamie discribes) in the chassis between the wishbones is such a good place to mount your transponder.

I can't answer for the Italians at Monza but I think you'll find that the finishing order is the job of the Observers in the UK.
I am open to correction of course.....:-)

Transponder purchased,ARDS booked,car painting nearly finished,a plan is definitely coming together,race retro to purchase various items and were nearly there

Excellent!