The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A34 northbound closed this weekend

If you are travelling to the drivers' meeting this weekend you are probably already aware of this but it is worth highlighting that the A34 northbound carriageway will be closed for all of the weekend north of the M4 junction at Chieveley. The signposted diversion will add 68 miles to your route and the local media are predicting gridlocking in the area north of Chieveley due to traffic trying to find local shortcuts.
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a34-college-farm-bridge-maintenance-scheme/has the details, in particular the "Journey Impact" tab has a a lot of information.
Probably see you there.

Re: A34 northbound closed this weekend

Here's for some closure times to add to Brian's helpful post:-

A34 motorists face second 68-mile road closure detourContinue reading the main story
Related Stories
Road closure creates 68-mile detour
Bridge works lead to A-road closures
Section of the A34 to be upgraded

Motorists face a second 68-mile detour on a major A-road between Berkshire and Oxfordshire over the weekend while bridge maintenance works are completed.

The northbound A34 will be closed from 22:00 GMT until 06:00 on Monday between Junction 13 of the M4 and Junction 9 of the M40.

It closed southbound last weekend when work on College Farm Bridge began.

The Highways Agency said the diversion will add a minimum of an hour to journeys.

During the closure, traffic will be diverted via the M4, A404(M), A404 and M40. Non-motorway traffic will be diverted via the A4 and A338.

The Highways Agency said drivers were "strongly advised" to plan and leave extra time for their journeys, while the resurfacing and waterproofing work was finished.

Re: A34 northbound closed this weekend

I should have added "from the south" somewhere in my message lest the Chairman sets out with extra sandwiches.
I drove south from Oxford to Newbury last night and all work on the southbound lane appears to have been completed, there's not even a 50mph limit to fret about; getting home should be easier unless you are going north in which case it will be the usual mindless slog littered with all the usual hazards in the descending gloom - maybe save your sandwiches for this bit Chris.