The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad news

I'm sad to say my 2013 season with Clubmans seems to be over as my engine damage is more than just a headgasket and some rebuilding. There is damage to the cilinderhead, piston etc. This means a complete rebuild with a new head, pistons, conrods etc. Not ideal in the middle of the season but i have a 1800 zetec (scandinavian spec) with my mk27 project that i can use for now. Thing is it hasn't run for 10 years and wil not have Proto power as it is, so i decided to use that engine for some testing in Holland and also some races with DNRT where i don't need the 200 bhp.
I'm not happy with this situation but hope to be back in 2014 with a new engine and perhaps the mk27
Hope you all wil have a good time and best of luck this season.

Gr,

Onno

Re: Bad news

Nooooooo! Put the engine in and come race with us anyway I'm sure we we can find a basis for that engine to be run with us!!!!!! 'Super Cup' how about that????

That is a real shame Onno.
We will be delighted to see you racing with us whenever you are ready.....

Pete

So sorry Onno - we'll miss you but really hope that we'll see you soon. Don't forget that we have an "Invitation" Class should you wish to come and play over here. Your Zetec engine would be good enough for a podium finish in many of our Proto Class races anyway. Hurry back.

I understand you like me to come over for the races but racing with an 150 bhp engine in a 240 bhp class isn't the competition i would cross the canal for. I do like to race with you and the main reason i come to your races is the competition and there's no class for the scandinavian spec engine in the UK other than Proto. Invitation class would not work either Chris, A and B sport are also very different to zetec 1800
Yes i could score some prices but it's the competition i'm interested in.

How about Birkett???

The Hart Attacks Birkett team is a Cup class team but I know other Clubmans teams who may pick up your interest. Such a shame about your engine - I'm so sorry.

Understand Onno ..... what about installing a Cup engine...........???

@ Jamie: yes thought about that before but is also a big change/money (engine, bellhousing, clutch, fuelpump etc, etc) and still no class in Holland.

@ Chris: we are trying to get a continental team into the Birkett, have 3 Scandinavian drivers and me but probably need someone experienced with Birkett.

Sorry to hear about your mechanical problems. A cup engine is not such a bad idea as you can see how quick Alex is with one and there are soome cheap ones for sale with all the kit to go with them. Just fit and forget.

Anyway about the Birkett. My son Chris will be putting an team together this year as usual and we have discussed the idea of running a second team but have not decided what cars to run. If you can get at least four cars prefferably six together then we can work it out for you. You provide the cars, we will manage the team. It' great fun, ask Marcus.

Don't just ask Marcus - loads of us love the Birkett.
I think it's the finest club motorsport event of the year and on the Silverstone GP circuit, which is mega!

Hi Peter, i think that could be a great combination! I did ask Marcus about the Birkett and he advised me to have someone experienced with the Birkett in the team. At this stage we have 4 drivers, 3 Scandinavian and me but don't know the details at this moment. Could you inform me about your plans by Mail? (O.Zuidema@home.nl)
Yes Pete Richings i know, why do you think i asked this on the forum!!
:-)

I have tried sending you an e-mail but it keeps bouncing back. Is there a problem with your e-mail address?

Seems like the site is off line, hope it wil go better later on.

Hi Onno

I'm really sorry to hear about your engine problems and I totally understand your desire to come and have a properly competitive race. If the Birkett works out for you, that would be super. My engine is also a bit sick, but not sure yet to what extent. Oil pressure when running at cold was very low, and so I'm taking the engine back to Dave Phillips next week for a look over. After my bent crank etc. last year I could do without this, but in motorsport you can always expect something that is going to cost you money to fix! I hope you can still enjoy some local racing this year and I look forward to seeing you out with us again as soon as you manage it, be it 2013 or 2014. Best wishes

Steve

Hi Steve, yes i'll be back!! No worry's about that please. The only reason i'm building a new engine is Clubmans! In Holland i could do with the 150 bhp 1800 engine and stil win races. The reason i stay with the zetec is that it's a easy engine to tune and at very good costs. I think i can built the new engine for the costs of 2 Clubmans races. So this wil not set me back but need to save some money this year.
Sorry to hear your engine isn't in good shape, the A-sport isn't as easy to keep it going as the K sport CUP and my Zetec but stil the best engine for Clubmans if money isn't an issue. (my opinion)
Good luck and hope you'l be on track again soon!

YYYesssss, been on the rolling road today with the 1800 zetec with my own carbs and ignition. Was very surprised to see 180 bhp and that might change my plans.
Tomorow some testing at Assen and if the speed is not to far from last time i might join for Rockingham. The 180 bhp is almost as much as my 2.0 engine 2 years ago when i raced at Rockingham.
Let you know more after the Assen test.

Hooray. Onno, you WILL be at Rockingham!!! Cold beers await the intrepid traveller...... Looking forward.

Haha Jamie, the test at Assen was great but the tyres are gone. Yes i'm stil racing the tyres i got from you and Alex. They will hold the weekend but don't give much grip anymore.
But i think sharing a cold beer would be great!
Are you racing the Phantom at Rockingham?
Let you know later this week if i can make it to Rockingham.