The three elements
50 logo

The Clubmans Register Forum

The Clubmans Register Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matthew's Mallock Magic... from the archives 2003

One of the most extraordinary bits of in car race footage, published today by Marcus on YouTube to mark the event's 10th anniversary. In the restarted Race 2 of the Clubmans Cup at Croix-en-Ternois (France) in 2003, Matthew Slinn in the yellow Mallock EBX 1600 was at the back of the grid... and angry! He takes off like a scalded cat and proceeds to pass almost the whole field, much of it in huge tank-slappers. Was it Mike Luck out ahead who took the win? Watch him go past Dickens, Madgwick, Crombie, Mumm, Jordan, Munns, Richings, Payne, Lester, Linley, and Webb. I am somewhere in the field in the yellow Mk26 but I must have started alongside Matthew at the back cos you don't see me. But it's my camera on Matthew's car so I have the footage! Matthew's car stops on the penultimate lap in a further flurry of F-words. What a drive! What a video.

Click here for a trip down memory lane

http://youtu.be/jdS9y4U-bUE

Re: Matthew's Mallock Magic... from the archives 2003

Thank you for this classic piece of Clubmans history Marcus.
Is it really 10 years? - feels like the season before last.......!!!

Thanks Marcus, remember this video from 10 years ago. Think Mallock´s needed a gearbox rebuild every race with Matthew as driver.

I don't remember Matthew passing me, in fact I'm sure he didn't as I have never been to Croix

Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.......!!

If my memory serves correct that was also the event at which Freeman ended up with a Caterham mudguard through the windscreen of his tow car in the paddock....

I remember a different Mr Slinn at Brands Hatch in the Paddock approx 1995 :0)

I'm sure our Driving Standards Consultant remembers?

27 April 1997 to be precise......:-)

Every time I'm near Paddock 2 at Brands the hairs stand up on my neck as I recall Tony and Matthew's "discussion". If it weren't for Richard Mallock stepping in there might have been fisticuffs. Thank goodness there's never been anything like that disagreement since - and NEVER will be.
Mind you, that Colin Fisher chap gets me annoyed by always demanding jammy-dodgers with his coffee.

Mind you that shout across the paddock of,

'You couldn't hurt a girl.....!!!'

has gone down in Clubmans folklore.

Well remembered Peter! I recall that what made it so frightening was the high pitched voice that delivered it ...

Brian, never been to Croix? What an experience you've missed. Imagine the pleasure of the insides of the cesspit visible through the floor of the loo. Imagine a bridge into the inner paddock low enough to take off the TV aerial of Adrian Lester's motorhome. Imagine gravel run-off deep enough to beach Matthew's rented BMW saloon afterhours. Imagine my six year old son on a firwork-clad bike in the paddock en gulfed in smoke and flames. But the merguez sausages were good weren't they guys? And some of the racing was ace.

I apologise for the wrong info. There must be a plucky young racer wanting to do research that could go through the video and the lap charts to tally it all up.

We did have some fun days there Marcus I agree.
It's a good job Webby had a Range Rover and a strong tow rope or else Matthews BMW might still be in that gravel trap.....!