Vingoe Web Site

Welcome to the Vingoe Forum. Here you can ask a question, tell a story, open a subject that you would like to discuss with others, in fact this is where you can get to know the Vingoe family, where they came from and where they went.

Welcome.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Descendant of John Guy (red colour)

Hi there,

My 3rd great grandmother was Elizabeth Anne Vingoe ( born Madron Cornwall 1845-1925, died South Australia) who married William Guy (born Sennen, Cornwall 1840 - 1912, died East Moonta , South Australia).

Migrated to Moonta, South Australia with their children:
Lilian 1867
Frederick William 1869
Richard A 1870
Albert Ernest 1872 and
Edith was born in Moonta Mines in 1887

Albert Ernest was my Great grandfather . He married Ada Edith Hisegrove in Fremantle, Western Australia. His son Frederick William VINGOE Guy born in Kalgoorlie- Boulder City, Western Australia 1907 was my grandfather.

He died aged 30 from miners lung in 1937 leaving a young wife Stella Winifred Rose Guy (Bodle from Hastings, England) and 3 young sons and daughter (twins William Ernest and Elizabeth). William Ernest 1933 - 2021 was my Father. His Mother Stella died just 10 months after her husband from illness caused by being bitten by a venomous red back spider in the outhouse (toxaemia). The 4 kids were orphaned and went to live with their grandparents on a farm in Southern Cross WA.

The 4 kids grew up not knowing the family history of the Guy side of the family. I know my Dads twin always wondered about where the Vingoe name came from in their Fathers name. She thought it was Italian origin.

Dad never liked to talk about his early days and I could never ask him about his father he got upset.

Dad was diagnosed with dementia a couple of years before he died in October 2021. In Jan/Feb 2021 he had a bad fall hitting his head and we thought he was going to die. It was up and down for a while and I became interested in researching Guy family and where his father etc were born. My research led me to a google search and I came upon William Guy and Elizabeth Anne migrating to Moonta from Cornwall and Elizabeth’s maiden name was Vingoe !!!!!! I finally found the answer to what I had been wondering for years. I told Dad what I had found out - his dementia was more advanced but at least I told him before he died. Dad outlived his siblings John Albert died 81, Frederick died 79, Betty (Elizabeth) died in her 70’s.

I have loved reading the history of the Vingoes in Cornwall. Thank you. I read somewhere Elizabeth Anne’s sister married William’s Guy’s brother. Any info on them would be great.

My daughter and I will be travelling to Cornwall in December this year. Can’t wait to visit, see the sights and history and maybe family research ! I live in Perth, Western Australia. There is a whole heap of Guy/Vingoe descendants here !!!!