Return to Website

Forum

Help, Suggestions, Discussions, and Information.

Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Pellet choice affecting limits?

What I meant was, if you fire a 6gr pellet at say 800fps it has 12ft/lb energy. If i put a bigger pellet in the rifle and it came out at 800fps it would have 30ft/lb energy, obviously the bigger pellet will travel slower than the lighter pellet so is there any way to calc its energy other than chronographing the gun?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pellet choice affecting limits?

It's like this matey.

The rifle develops the power, not the pellet - ignore the advertising hype.

Your rifle has a limit to the power it can provide to push the pellet up the barrel.

Fact : Your rifle will be able to push a lighter pellet up the barrel faster than a heavier pellet.

Use this as an example - Try throwing a tennis ball - it goes a long way - yes ? Now try throwing a house brick - not so far eh ?. It's the same with air rifles (unless they are modifed).

Light pellet = more fps than a heavier pellet but the ft lbs remains the same (or there abouts). It's a mathematical fact. I've been there - done that - trust me, I've tested them all.

Just buy sensible standard top of the range pellets RWS, Premier, Air Arms - ignore the so called 'super magnum' pellets.

Good quality, accurate pellets are what you need.

Good shooting - webmaster.

What is your main interest. f4bscale magic website

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pellet choice affecting limits?

amen to webmaster , but RWS are ok, i've had them for ages, but logun penetrators really are incredible (not for the squeamish though if you are shooting game)