Return to Website

Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home in Barn

I've got one with a big barn and a small living quarters within the barn +/- 1000 square feet gla w/ 1 bedroom 1 bath. It's on a 5 acre lot. Does anyone have any recent sales of something similar? I've seen one in cumming but it hasn't sold in 5 years.

Re: Home in Barn

Forgot to mention, the barnhome is North of Atlanta.

I had a chicken house that someone had built living quarters in the middle of the chichen house. They had not done a very good job of building the living quarters, very poor construction. It was on appx 6 acres. I determine the highest and best to be vacant land an did a land appraisal.

Older sale (4+/- yrs) in Butts County. The barn and covered arena are connected. Also under the same roof is a show office, a commercial kitchen area and a dining hall. As well as a 1 room apartment that has a kitchenette, bath & LR/BR combo

If you need more info on it let me know

This one is actually done pretty nicely on the GLA. It's all centrally heated and cooled etc.... but I'd like to have some good data before making any rash judgements as to the highest and best use. Right now I'm using small homes w/ barns as comparable properties. I can't find anything as to whether or not this one even qualifies for FNMA financing either... Yeesh. At least I'm getting a good fee

Oh Lawdy. We got that call, and wondered who would end up with that request. I told them it would end up being a land appraisal, with maybe a little for the barn. Guess they are still trying to pound that square peg into a round hole.

There is a good chance that the land is underutilized, and the house/barn does not add value to the land, in north Atlanta, that is most likely the case.

We did one in Carroll County. It was on acreage (I think 10 Acres) and had pretty good finish quality. It's over a year old by now though. Let me know if you want me to dig the file up.
-Cdog