Return to Website

Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Indoor pools, GLA???

I have a house (subject) with an indoor pool. Redlink shows this house to be 5400 sq ft. I think that the previous appraiser considerd the "pool area" gross living area. Would you consider the pool area GLA even if it is heated/cooled?

Re: Indoor pools, GLA???

I don't know if I would consider that livable area.

for me, it would depend on where the pool is situated. if it is in the basement area, i would include it as part of the basement but if attached to the back of the house, i would most likely not include it and just treat it as a pool. the only area of the pool that could be considered living space is the patio area around the pool and not the pool itself.

Thanks BK43, that helps.

Just playing devils advocate, should we then remove the closets, bath tubs and showers from our GLA since we don't live in them? The interior area of the home occupied by the pool still has considerable costs associated with the construction of the walls, ceilings, etc... and may be favorable or negative in the market.

I believe what you have may be more of a functional utility or functional obsolescense situation. How you decide on what adjustment should be made, should be based on A)Paired sales if possible B) Extensive research.

Just because the Redlink says the appraiser included it, does NOT mean that the appraiser didn't properly address or adjust for it

i forgot, if you count the pool as part of the gla and then adjust in the market analysis for a pool which is also counted in with the gla, you are infact double dipping which will provide, in my opinion, a greatly inflated value.

Maybe functional obsolesence is applicable?

Have you inspected the property? If not, then make the trip (with a fee) and select your comparable sales accordingly. If you have not, and desire an opinion.... I feel they all "taste like chicken" (my opinion only). Get your rear end out there and at least attempt to perform the assignemnt, if not, refer it to a competent associate within the industry. I am sick and tired of individuals wanting advice on how to complete an assignment, when the individual does not have a clue. Learn the profession before soliciting advice on this type of forum. This is not a forum for individuals to get paid, but it is one for reasonable individuals to silicit reasonable advice. If you do not like my opinion, then please have me removed from this forum. have a great day?!.!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I consider GLA when the space is heater and/or cooled and when you can WALK ON IT.

Unless you can walk on water, I would not count it as GLA.

Does it really matter which way you count it as long as you are consistent in your adjustments? Although I would choose not included in GLA and added as a significant feature. As with any pool there would be a functional adjustment.

OOPS.
The functional adjustment would show up in the cost approach if I completed the cost approach.

Well you can walk on the bottom of a pool, so your test fails. I have found that it is very rare that these indoor pools are actually enclosed in the same manner as the home, generally we are talking about a pool in an attached sunrrom, I have even seen them with bathrooms, but I have yet to see one where it is enclosed in a brick traditional, etc. Is this case with your pool?

Well John C, I was not asking your "advice on how to complete an assignment". I though it was a very reasonable question. I was trying to determine if any one had run into this situation before, and if so ,how they delt with it.
I never inspected a home with an inground pool in the past 8 years that I have been appraising. I feel that if you run into a situation tht you haven't delt with before, it is best to ask others who have. Have a nice day as well!

Feels good to watch someone else play DA for once, lol

First try and get a market measure from another set of properties. If that fails, and your selected comparables do not have an indoor swimming pool, I would add based upon depreciated cost. Not in GLA.

I did a home where the pool (enclosed) was in the basement and was equal to the finish with a special system to keep the air system clear and the humidity down. I counted it as finished basement area. I have seen pool tables, Jacuzzis and other entertainment types of equipment and have not counted them separate from the space as they were used with the same utility. Now if they put a boat in there that would be considered a wet dock or parking area.

Steve,
First of all spell check rocks. If you have never appraised a home with an in ground pool, do you meet the competency clause? If you meet the competency clause, and still need advice then contact your lender on their particular requirements. If you need this forum to address your particular inefficiencies, then I wish you the best of luck in these trying times. Again, good luck.............

WTF gives with people. Why on earth is is such an issue for someone to come on here and ask for some professional advice only to run into someone with the kindness of a skunk.

I bounce ideas and problems off fellow appraisers all the time and none seem to have an issue with it. Come on here and people start to stink up the joint.

If you have nothing constructive to say just keep the trap shut. And if you want to treat others with disrespect show who you are.

Steve - I wish I knew the answer to your question but don't. There are some good guys on here that should help. Ignore the others that offer nothing.

Steve, I appraised a home a few years back. It had a kick butt indoor pool, and the room, walls, crown molding, ceiling roof and exterior were ALL equal in quality and caliber to the rest of the home. To top if off, the house had an AIRPLANE hangar garage with a grass runway in the back of the property.

I included the pool as GLA and made adjustments for functional obsolescence. Technically, if the next owners wanted to fill the pool in, or build a properly supported sub floor over it and make it into a room they could. The room would have been just as nice as any other room in the house. (It had a sweet surround system and 30 Foot projection system on the wall. I could only imagine his super bowl parties).

Fortunately for me, there were other comps in the subdivision that also had Plane hangars and access to the runway, so that was not so much of a challenge. I did find a comparable with an equal quality indoor pool, but it was well beyond the preferred one mile radius. Explain, explain and explain some more. Just because the URAR is not a "one size fits all" report, does not mean that as a professional, you can't properly appraise the property. You can do what you want as long as you conform to USPAP and have a clear definition of Scope Of Work with your client.

If you truly need some help and mentor ship, maybe you should ask someone here to Supervise you on it. Perhaps you don't need it. Just make sure you disclose in your report that you have NOT performed an appraisal on a property just like the subject. Good luck

John H., I'm sorry but could u tell me what city that house was in? I'm just curious because that sounds nice and I have never seen anything like that

Thanks for all the good advice guys. This is definitlely a challangeling appraisal. It is in Carrollton, out in the country, and in the middle of nowhere.(try finding good comps for this white elephant!!) I guess I'll have to wait untill the inspection, which is on Friday, to see exactly what I am facing.
I think that what makes you a stronger appraiser is taking challanging appraisals, such as this. Any one can appraise a 2000 sq ft, 8 4 2.5 home in Lawrenceville. It's the hard ones that make us better appraisers.