Return to Website

Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AMC's

Just some info....With the lower fees associated with AMC's....I have realized some of the large banks are actually ordering two appraisals per property and probably still coming in around the same cost as a standard appraisal prior to the creation of AMC's. Whatareyagonnado? If the large banks like the AMC concept and are forcing this structure on Appraisers....it seems likely their business model will continue to be successful and probably grow. There are local Appraisal shops adopting that business model and taking in AMC work. I have heard from many people here say that they do not like using an Association to act as an activist concerning price structure, or safety issues (high crime areas). To do nothing in response to this business model is to accept it as is. 2008 will not make a difference in their business model, IMO.

Re: AMC's

I'm sure most people partly became an appraiser to make a decent living once they have learned the ropes. (5-10 years) Amc work is "half" the price of a full appraisal and they nail you to the wall to turn it quick. I'd rather do something else than run around like a chicken with his head cut off for $100. If this becomes the standard for the industry, I'll be looking for greener pastures and I'm sure a lot of others will follow suit

Mike,
I think you are off base thinking that banks can order 2 appraisals from AMC's at the same price as one from someone like me. I don't think that an AMC is going to charge any less than any of us, they just find an appraiser HUNGRY enough to work for less money. The AMC keeps the difference as their profit.

Could the banks find some of those same appraisers to do appraisals directly for them at those low prices? Of course they could. Why don't they? Maybe because they don't want to take the time to find them and are willing to pay the higher fees for the extra SERVICES some of those AMC's offer them.

My question now becomes, why don't we as individual appraisers offer those banks some of the same services that the AMC's are offering? It could be that we are nothing but a group of dumb individual appraisers, not willing to work together, not willing to learn how to do a good appraisal withing the rules and regulations, not willing to unify for the good of the profession, etc and last but certainly not least, ALWAYS WILLING TO BITCH ABOUT THE OTHER GUY ALWAYS BEING WRONG OR DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

I believe the quote is "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians"

AMC's are not giving the Lenders a deal from what I have seen. I have several invoices from the AMC to the lender and they are more than I charge for full fee work. Substantially more!

"why don't we as individual appraisers offer those banks some of the same services that the AMC's are offering? It could be that we are nothing but a group of dumb individual appraisers, not willing to work together, not willing to learn how to do a good appraisal withing the rules and regulations, not willing to unify for the good of the profession"

The nature of our job independent fee appraiser means that we work independent of the system as a check and balance to the operation. Just like we are now finding out that amcs are doing more than finding appraisers all over the country to do work for lower than market prices. The reason you don't see appraisers subjectgating their fellow appraisers is we call them sweat shops and the ability to do the work over receive the work is another matter. Your appraisal work is converted by using MISMO and used 800 ways. The reason you are not supposed to be a machine is the problems from the S&L era and appraisers working for banks and just signing off on anything. The independence of an appraiser is why we have the job and it is also why we can not unite. It would seem that everything goes up but appraiser fees. AMC's charge as much as $450 per appraisal they pay you sub-par fees and then charge you to use their upload and quality control. As we know banks own most AMC's and this has become a cashcow for them. Every time an appraiser stands up for full fee they do two things- make AMC's pay market price and take additional funds away from profit centers. In other words the pimp quits getting all the money. Understand why your reports are in MISMO and you will understand the system. Much like the wagon residential appraisal will also become a hybrid of AVM's and drive by inspections like a 2065 or 2075 or 704. Just like the appraisal system is differnet from ten years ago so will it be in ten years. Good luck.

Huh?