Return to Website

Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mel Leggett

Can you post what you know about Pam Crawley and her situation and what her Website is about,,if you know?

Thanks

Re: Mel Leggett

Than many months of drama condensed...

Pam started a web site (MortgageFraudWatchList.org) to track mortgage fraud, appraiser pressure, and illegal request from loan officers. It's been stated that a fair portion of those request have come from AMC's, and some accusations were made on a public forum. Then it was stated on a public forum that documented evidence started flowing in that a certain AMC is in fact unlocking PDF appraisal reports to attach watermarks. Many on that forum became outraged that anyone, especially an AMC, is unlocking their appraisal reports to mess with them. That's when the threat of law suits started, and it's now turned into AMC VS Appraiser.

John:

That would be a good pool question....

Do you think AMC's are unlocking and useing your data you submit.

I would not be at all surprised that it may happen from time to time, John. Quite frankly, in today's climate, I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

The key is to prove it.

It is a good argument for making a hard copy of all your appraisals.

"The key is to prove it."
I know Pam personally, and I frankly have no doubt she has the goods. BTW, even mortgage brokers have been contributing to her defense fund.

Mel,

I wasn't challenging anyone. I was making a general statement. I stand by this woman, believe me.

Sorry.

Everyone is tired of these AMCs dictating what the appraiser's job is and how to do it. This is not limited to AMCs, either. Apparently, if they don't get the numbers they want, they go to another appraiser, or, change the appraisal, or take the appraiser off their list.

Everyone has forgotten the banking scandal of the mid eighties.

Those who forget this historical moment are bound to repeat it.

The banks are screwing themselves and blaming it on us, pure and simple.

Go Pam Go.

I have proof that this certain AMC unlocks appraisal reports and rearrange the content within. I did an appraisal for them and I was called by the lender asking me to resend the report because the could not read the opinion of value. I asked them to forward me a copy of the report they had and it was not the one I sent to the client. I called the AMC and inquired about the change and was informed that they have to run it through their system and their system reformats it so they can check for errors.

I use the following statement in ALL of my reports:

Appraisal Report Security Code: XXXXAXXXXX
This numeric security code is unique to this appraisal report and was generated using an algorithm known only to the original appraiser. It is included as a security measure against unauthorized changes or modifications to the value or other portions of the original appraisal provided by the appraiser.

While this will not protect me from a sentenced being changed, they surely can't monkey around with my value, whether the report is "AS IS" or "SUBJECT TO" nor can it be a valid file number if the report was not generated using my database. I think that will cover me for the most part

Rar, please send that info to Pam. The more, the merrier.

They don't have to unlock it to mine the data. They can print and have someone input the data manually,

I'm sure but they added thumbnail pictures and removed my signature from the signature line.

Growing up on computers, I can tell you that there is nothing you can do to stop someone from hacking your report once they have it, even the pdf. One lender calls us everytime they get a hand on one of our reports to ask us specific questions about it to make sure nothing has been changed. Now that makes me feel better.

DA,
Before you were born, I remember my Dad defending himself against a claim due to White Out. It's always been there in some small fashion. Keeping a GOOD SOLID WORK FILE is necessity. Learn, remember, and never forget.

YA, I bet. I print everything out that I look at even though my mentor gets mad, lol. My files are typically really thick. If you keep a good work file, you should be ok