Return to Website

Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dang, it got slow this week...

Is it slow out there in Georgia? I was averaging 4-5 appraising a week since the end of February, then this week 1(!) appraisal. Dang, guess I'll grocery shop for the family, swim in the pool since it finally hit over 80 and start drinking earlier than usual. Oh, well I did 14 appraisals this month, that is fine by me although 20 per month is my goal. Just wanted to gripe tonight. Carol

Re: Dang, it got slow this week...

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Carol,
I'm a newly licensed CR appraiser and I am starting from scratch on building my own clients. Could you offer any advice on marketing? Do you cold call mortgage companys? How about filling out the on-line applications for the companys that handle assigning appraisals for the lenders, ie. Landsafe etc.? What has worked best for you and how long did it take to get there?? 4-5 appraisals a week is exactly where I'd like to get to get to very soon. Sounds like you've figured the marketing part out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and enjoy the down time!!!

Appraiser 4 u, I'm just curious you state that you are a newly licensed, certified residential appraiser. Have you already gotten the 2500 hundred training hours in and 120 classroom hours to qualify? (I'm just a little confused because you used licensed and certified together, there is a difference) Once you take the initial 90 hour course you are registered. Thanks.

Depends upon which state you are in. Some states do not have the level of licensed appraiser. Many go from registered/trainee to Certified. If in Georgia you can get the additional education, time and skip licensed and jump to Certified. Its kind of sad that someone could assist someone and have never done one appraisal on their own and become a certified appraiser or never have completed a commercial appraisal and becomes a Certified General.

I think every time you move up in license you should be required to send in a demo appraisal.

What does his being licensed/certified have to do with his marketing question? Can ya'll just tell him how he is supposed to get your clients.

Appraiser 4U: when I first started, I sent out over 100 letters to mortgage companies and did not get ONE response, okay, lesson learned. I then cold called about 10 mortgages companies a day and basically asked if they were happy with their current appraiser and might have a need for another. Most said they were happy, however some seemed interested, with that I went to about 5 mortgage companies and did a 10 minute presentation to usually an audience of about 10-30 loan officers (make sure you touch on the most important things you can offer). With that I got a couple loan officers that would use me, it just went from there, where I did a good job for them and I would come back every couple weeks and visit that loan offier to thank him for his business and would visit the other LO's I met, gradually others would start using me and there you have it. I don't do business with the middle man appraiser companies, because I won't take less than my standard fee of $400. I figure if I am going to do the same work, why should I take less $$. Couple things that have kept my clients, when you go in to do your presentation, if you do, make sure you can back up everything you do, i.e. always meet deadlines (you better do it them), will go to certain areas (you better go each time). I had a couple lenders tells me they have NEVER had an appraiser come in and talk. Don't bother with smaller co. i.e. 1-3 LO's it is a waste of your time. And when you get your clients provide EXCELLENT customer service, my clients see me at least once if not twice a month to tell them thanks for their business, I figure with all the appraisers out there, if I don't provide excellent service someone else surely will. Ok, that is all my words of wisdom, take 'em or toss 'em. Have a good day.

Thank you Carol! I will take your advice quite seriously. I appreciate advice from someone such as yourself with a proven track record. I am surprised however that your standard fee is $400! My mentor's fees have averaged $300 for typical properties. Also I am Certified Residential. I went from registered directly to CR rather than bother with the intermediate step of taking the exam to become licensed since the test is so similar. I'm glad I did it that way. Thanks!

We can tell you'll make a mark on the industry.

Appraiser 4U: I am not in Georgia. $400 is typical for my state. Good idea to just get all the hours and go to certified res. I got licensed first because I wanted to go out on my own, then did the extra hours and became certified last September. Good luck to you. Another thing I don't take on a zillion clients and do a half ass job, I take on a few (as many as I can handle) and give them 100%. It was a struggle and sometimes I thought about asking my mentor for my old job back (many, many, many times!!!) but am glad I hung in there.

I thought about doing that, but I cannot try to maintain with a mentor going on every inspection with me for 2 years. I CAN have a mentor who helps me every and discusses different dilemmas with me, but I couldn't imagine dragging someone out to every inspection with me for 2 years.

Very, very slow compared to this time the previous ten years or so... kind of scary.