Return to Website

Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FHA question about pondering & leaking water

I did an FHA appraisal that had pondering water at the rear of the property and it had not rained. There was also water under the hot water heated located in the basement. I'm unsure if I call this subject to inspection or subject to repair? If subject to inspection, what type? Also, I did not make it to the last FHA meeting because it was full when I tried to register. Can someone please fill me in on anything new?

Re: FHA question about pondering & leaking water

Do you mean ponding water- as in creating a pond? Or do you sip it while you think?

Sorry- I believe you need to make it subject to an inspection and whatever is called for after the inspection to be completed in a timely and workmanlike manner.

FIRST, is the water collecting at the rear where it endangers the foundation of subject?
SECOND, were you able to determine if the water heater is leaking? could the water heater recently been drained?
if the ponding water at the rear of the subject does not impact on the foundation of the subject and does not appear to cause a health or safety issue, it should be okay. this is a judgement call.
if the water heater is leaking, the appraisal would be subject to the repair and or replacement of the water heater.

Yes the pondering water is against the foundation. The water heater was wrapped, but I'm assuming it's coming from there.

pon·der(pndr)
v. pon·dered, pon·der·ing, pon·ders
v.tr.
To weigh in the mind with thoroughness and care.
v.intr.
To reflect or consider with thoroughness and care.

Am I missing another definition for pondering?

Obviously you'll don't like my verbiage so what would you call water sitting in the back yard next to the foundation?

Forgot to say it's not big enough to be a pond, it's more like a puddle.

When doing an appraisal spelling and grammar are equally as important as any dollar adjustments that you make. Go to Dictionary.com and check on the pronunciations and the definition of each word.

I am only saying this to make you AND your work credible in the eyes of the underwriters, reviewers and your peers.

Instead of pondering (to reflect or consider) you might have meant puddling (small pool of water).

How do you heat hot water? Isn't it just a water heater?

Pooling water would be another way to state the problem, but pondering has nothing to do with water.

General, look at the spelling of your name.

I find it laughable and sad when those that criticize have no idea of what they are talking about.

Pondering of water is obviously incorrect terminology but those who correct it should have a clue about what they are talking about.   The writer meant to say "ponding water" which is mentioned four times in Appendix D of the 4160.2 manual dated January 2006, once in the 4150.2 manual dated July 1999, and once in paragraph 1-25 of the HOC National Reference Guide.   Click below for one of the six references that I found in about a minute regarding "Ponding Water".

Ponding of Water

"Pooling water" and "Puddling water" are terms not recognized by FHA.   The writer needs some lessons in spelling but at least knows the definition of "ponding water".

This is a place to ask and learn.   It is not a place for ignorant criticism.   BK43 seems to be the only one who knows "ponding water" is a recognized FHA term.

Make the appraisal subject to repair of the "ponding water" which you believe has been caused by the water heater.   If you know it was caused by the water heater, make the appraisal subject to replacement of the water heater.

John

John, I might've read it wrong, but I think she means it MAY be from the water heater, but isnt 100% sure. I would probably want to C my A and get an expert opinion as to what causes the ponding, but is that overkill?