Return to Website

Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
eAppraiseIT v. Pamela Crowley: Founder of the Mortgage Fraud Watch List sued by AMC

Full Story posted on Appraisal Scoop!! http://appraisalnewsonline.typepad.com/appraisal_news_for_real_e/

eAppraiseIT v. Pamela Crowley

eAppraiseIT has filed 2 suits against me as of June 19, 2007.

These kinds of suits are basically what are termed “SLAPP” suits.

http://www.answers.com/topic/strateg...on?cat=biz-fin

“Retaliatory lawsuits intended to silence, intimidate, or punish those who have used public forums to speak, petition, or otherwise move for government action on an issue.”

They want me shut up about what they ARE doing, on the AppraisersForum.com, and want the www.MortgageFraudWatchList.org shut down because they are afraid something might be there about them.

Saturday, June 23, 2007, I was served with “Notice of Emergency Hearing” scheduled for Thursday, June 28, 2007, at 2:15, before the Honorable John D. Moxley, JR., Courtroom 218, in the Brevard County Courthouse, 506 S. Palm Avenue, Titusville, FL. Apparently they want me ‘shut up’ about what they ARE doing really fast - and to catch me before I can be prepared to adequately respond. Typically, an Emergency Hearing is only scheduled when there is evidence that a ruling is necessary for the preservation of ‘Public Health’, ‘Public Safety’ and/or ‘General Welfare’ where the plaintiff is a danger to others or themselves.

I am asking that you consider contributing to the defense fund for these suits. All contributions will be held by my attorney, in confidence, as stated below. No amount is considered too small. I have one appraiser that has pledged to match the first $5,000 in contributions and a second appraiser that has pledged to match the second $5,000. As explained in the above linked article, corporations file suits like this to wipe out the target they want to ‘shut up’, emotionally and financially. Emotionally I am stronger than ever. Financially, there’s nothing for them to get, which I’m betting they know and are counting on to make what they are doing stay hidden.

Here is the message from my attorney regarding how and where to send your donation:

“People should send their checks to me at the address below. They should be payable to: "Eric A. Lanigan Trust Account f/b/o Pam Crowley."

I will send each person an acknowledgement of the payment received, and I will keep a record of each person and the amount of their payment. All information regarding payment will be strictly confidential and privileged. Anyone who wants their contribution kept completely confidential, such that even you (Pamela Crowley) would not know they contributed, should so indicate when they send in the payment.”

Eric A. Lanigan, Esq.
222 S. Pennsylvania Ave., #101
Winter Park, FL 32789
407.740.7379; fax 407.740.6812

I am asking that you contribute whatever you feel you can and will pro-rata refund any funds left over. Ultimately, I am hoping that the suits that will follow will more than cover not only everybody’s donations, but more to each and every appraiser that has been harmed, whether you realize you’ve already been harmed or not. If you have any questions about this, please do contact myself or Mr. Lanigan.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Pamela Crowley

Phone: 321-514-7703

Email: PamC@MortgageFraudWatchList.org

If you know of other concerned, honest, ethical appraisers, please forward this to them or let me know who they are so I can send this to them.

Pamela Crowley

www.MortgageFraudWatchList.org

Re: eAppraiseIT v. Pamela Crowley: Founder of the Mortgage Fraud Watch List sued by AMC

What is the deal here,,,any correction would be helpful BUT

As far I know, she is letting appraiser know of the data mining of their turned in reports by the AMC's,,She also has documentation where many appraisal reports has been submitted to an AMC, the report was unlocked, information was changed and then sent on up to the client...

What else am I missing here

Am I off base here? what is the deal..

Thanks

Re: eAppraiseIT v. Pamela Crowley: Founder of the Mortgage Fraud Watch List sued by AMC

That is basically it in a nutshell. Pam also has the Mortgagefraud watchlist, which a lot of the number pushing LO's are screaming about, as it gets a lot of reviews done, and kills some deals where values are getting seriously pushed.
They are basically trying to shut her up by using the lawsuit. The best way to eliminate a threat to their tactics is to force her out of the work, and she's already stated that she is having it rough since, as an appraiser, and a seasoned one, she is getting hammered over this.
If you know of any appraisers that are serious about being ethical, send them a link to it. She's basically sounding an alert, and this is something that needs to be done.

This cannot get buried.
Let's get GA support going.

movin' it to the top.

Just support Pam, because she is fighting for all residential appraisers everywhere.

All who have even a dollar should send it ASAP.

Posted by: Steve Smith | June 25, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Time for a gathering of the minds. Appraisers must create a cohesion for the appraisal industry. It's not the supposed appraisal representatives, but it is us that need to make a difference.

Posted by: Al Torres | June 25, 2007 at 08:48 PM

I am a loan broker who has reported suspicious transactions to pam's site.I am sending what $ i can today,and have forwarded the info about this suit to others who care about the profession of Real Estate.Send what you can,and scream at the judge as well.

Posted by: tom stone | June 26, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Another way to help support Pam's defense fund.
Click here for the full article

Court date tommorrow..

Good luck to pam..

Also 50% of the subscription to REMagizing will be donated to her defense fund so I am told...

This is a must win for Free Speach and copywriting reports through AMC's

I have a post on one of my blogs regarding this and here is a further update from one of Pam's colleagues.

"It looks like this story has sprouted some long legs at today's senate hearing.

Testimony of the National Community Reinvestment Coalition David Berenbaum, Executive Vice President Before the Senate Committee on Banking, Sub- Committee on Housing, Transportation and Community Development Ending Mortgage Abuse: Safeguarding Homebuyers
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

from Mr Berenbaum:

Quote:

Why is it that is lenders are forced to rely on AVM's - which are highly inaccurate themselves - due to widespread mortgage fraud in the marketplace?

Why is it that, despite the protections of FIRREA and the requirements of USPAP, appraisal companies are beginning to sanction the "unlocking" of appraisal reports performed by valuation professionals and changing their content - a clear violation of the law?

Their response, when licensed appraisers began to question the legality and impact of this activity - is to threaten or hit the whistle blowers with slap suits. Just ask Pamela Crowley, a Florida appraiser and a signatory member of NCRC's Center for Responsible Appraisal & valuations who created mortgagefraudwatchlist.com to expose lender pressure and valuation fraud, She is being wrongfully sued by an appraisal management company for having the integrity to expose this issue. Senator Schumer, your focus on valuation issues is right on point.

http://banking.senate.gov/_files/berenbaum.pdf (Page 11)"
06/26/2007 by Robert Elfand, MRA, RAA

You can also order clothing items here
all profits go directly to her defense fund!

Clothing order link didn't take...sorry:
http://www.cafepress.com/appraiserpress

Got my thong.

News update for everyone:

Pam won roiund one. The injunction to shut her up failed. Obviously, this is still early, but it is off to a good start. This is for all of us, guys and girls, to protect the integrity of our reports.

great news for the average appraiser...

This was in 'FloridaToday'...

A California-based appraisal management company is asking a Brevard County judge to muzzle a Palm Bay-based appraiser from commenting on the company on her Web site or other Internet forums.

An hour-long hearing started at 2:15 p.m. today before Circuit Judge John Dean Moxley Jr. in Titusville on the injunction requested by First American eAppraiseIT, based in Poway, Calif.

The company is asking Moxley to keep Pamela Crowley of Palm Bay from making any comments about the company on her Web site, www.mortgagefraudwatchlist.org, or making statements on any Internet bulletin boards or forums.

"They want to put duct tape on her mouth," said Eric Lanigan, Crowley's lawyer in the case.

Lanigan said First American eAppraiseIt also is suing Crowley for libel for comments.

The case revolves around Crowley's disclosure on Internet forums, chat rooms and bulletin boards - focusing on issues in the appraisal industry - about First American eAppraiseIt opening electronic reports compiled by appraisers for lenders.

First American eAppraiseIt acts as a middle party, finding appraisers for places such as banks and mortgage companies.

Crowley and others contend when those secure files are open, there is a chance for private information being released or the data to be manipulated.

Crowley posted on her Web page, and also on Internet forums, an e-mail where First American eAppraiseIt admits opening the files for security reasons.

"They want an injunction that she can't make any publication regarding them," Lanigan said, "which is pretty far out there."

http://tinyurl.com/2krgre

Good news, but please keep the discussion to the FACTS.

Please.... puuuulleeeeeze NO discussion of speculation or rumors. Loose lips sinks ships, and all of that kind of stuff.