Return to Website

Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spell Checking on this and other Forums

On another post someone mentioned that misspelled words on a forum were excusable because of the lack of a spell checker on a forum.

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4 is a free browser that includes a spell checker for forums and blogs.   I use Firefox whenever I post so that misspelled words will highlighted as I type.   When I right click on the word, the spell checker provides alternate correctly spelled words from which I can choose.   There is also a "add to dictionary" function.

This makes it much easier to type a clean post without using Word or other word processor.

The other tool that I can't do without when typing on a forum is "WordWeb".   Double click on any word to highlight it, hit "ctrl-alt-w" and the dictionary definition will pop up.   This program works with any software not just the forum.   Synonyms and antonyms are also provided.

"WordWeb" and this forum have improved my working vocabulary significantly.   Best of all, "WordWeb" is also free.

Download Firefox Free

Download WordWeb Free

John

Re: Spell Checking on this and other Forums

Misspelling is never excusable. Neither is typing all caps.

according to who?

I've mentioned it before, but for IE users, there is a fine spell-checker that will add itself as a button on the IE toolbar. It's called ieSpell and it works wonderfully. After typing in a post, highlight it, hit the ieSpell button and it will check the spelling, and will offer the correction.

http://www.iespell.com/

Now those appraisers who feel spelling does not matter do not have an excuse.

Thanks for reminding me Jack.   I remember you telling us this before but forgot.

I will install it right now.

"WordWeb" has come out with a new version.   All you have to do is hold down "ctrl" and right-click to get the dictionary definition.   I just installed it and it works as advertised.

John

Now we can all hope that the grammar police set their word traps.

Thanks for the tip on "iespell".   This message was posted with several misspelled words, spell-checked, and posted.

"iespell" worked flawlessly.

Curiously, I misspelled "misspelled" and didn't mean to.

John

Since I seem to have earned the title of picky, let me point out that these wonderful programs won't correct misuse of our appraisal terminology. Nor will they (as far as I know) correct misuse of words such as "loose" for "lose," which is a common mistake on this forum.

(Remember "loose as a goose" and "lose" as in you lose money when you bet wrong on the stock market.)

I could not care less if we want to vent our frustrations, learn from each other, and make really funny remarks with some occasional spelling disorders. Being perfect on this informal forum is not the point. Learning and sharing is. Heck, John, I avoid the word misspelling because I can never remember how to spell it.

Marty

You're welcome, John. And, I have to thank you for the WordWeb tip. Tried it out and loved it. It will be very useful.

Very funny during the install, saying you cannot use it for free after thirty days if you drive an SUV.

Yeah- thanks to everyone for ruining any excuse I could possibly have for mispel- misspeli- spelling poorly!:)