Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where do I start?

Hello,

I am not an appraiser, but I'm interested in becoming
one. I've been looking into several schools but I really don't know where to start.

My background is retail, I owned and operated a gift
shop for seven years, but before that I worked for
a realtor for a short time and have been interested
in becoming an appraiser ever since.

I welcome any comments or advice any of you could can
offer.

Thanks

Re: Where do I start?

I would wait until the market picks up. Right now your going to have a hard time finding work w/ a decent mentor.

You have just mentioned 2 of my biggest concerns.

The market situation is the main reason I've been
sitting back watching. In my area land has sold like
crazy and homes are going up by the dozens but a lot
of them are sitting empty.

I have a potential mentor, I've dealt with him in the
past. He told me to give him a call when I was ready
work. However, a friend of mine just got her realtor's
license and is having a very hard time.

Misty

"I have a potential mentor, I've dealt with him in the
past. He told me to give him a call when I was ready
work."

Call him. BUT, don't give up the day job! It takes 3-5 years to really get going good in either the sales or appraising end. Both are all about learning, advancing in skills, and marketing.

I started nearly two years ago after years of wishing I had done it sooner. I love the business. I love being an appraiser. The best place to start is here and every resource the internet offers. Knowledge is vital. It will be a very difficult road as an apprentice (registered appraiser). You are facing long, long hours, poor training, low pay and those are the good days. BUT, that is paying your dues. Get your hours and become licensed and you will have new and bigger doors open. Learn every minute of every day from everyone in the business and you will succeed. (no matter what this market does!) I gain new accounts each week from thirsty lenders looking for solid work. They are tired of poor, unprofessional work. Most people you read in this forum are very professional. Good luck and I'll being looking to mentor you.

In any field, however crowded, there is room for excellence.

This may actually be a great time to learn the trade. You will not see a market in this bad of shape for hopefully a long time, so the learning experience could be great for you. The work is slow so your mentor will actually have time to train you. The money will not be good due to the lack of work but I would sacrifice the money for the training. The need for appraisers may be HUGE in 3-5 years as these lending problems too shall pass. People need homes and now lenders will learn that they need appraisers. I just got back from an inspection where some schmuck was going to do a "BPO" for the loan. The homeowner was shopping lenders and decided to go with my client who wanted a full appraisal and told Mr. BPO to take a hike right in front of me. A BPO is a glorified real estste agents guess. If you want it you can do it, it takes guts and grit as we say in the south.

The only down fall may be the number of lenders that will take a R's work without the supervisior inspecting the property.

Many of my good clients are no longer taking work from R's unless I inspect the property,,that means,,who needs a R..

What ever you do,,make sure you have a good mentor with a good rep...

Good Luck

First Step: Read Georgia Law and USPAP. There are alot of changes that you should be familiar with before you take the 90 hr class.

Read "GREAB - Georgia Law" (under Contents on the Home Page)...read the "Amendment to the Georgia Appraisal Regulation (effective August 1st, 2006)".

Also, read USPAP regarding the changes that are happening Jan. 1st, 2008 (under Contents on the Home Page).

Thanks for all the advice and comments. Changing
careers is major and it helps to have some input
from folks already in the game.

Best Regards
Misty