Georgia Appraisers' Forum

Opinions and Comments from Georgia Appraisers

Georgia Appraisers' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
basement vs. gla ?

Please Help!!!!!

Subject 2 story (raised ranch) 3 bedrooms/3 baths on 1st level. Family room, living room, dining room, kitchen, half bath on (main) 2nd level (no bedrooms, no full baths). Site is rolling to rear. Entrance Doors on 1st Level, 2nd Level front and 2nd level rear. 2nd level would be considered below grade on rear. Tax records and previous appraisal count both levels as gla. Are there any circumstances that would allow this to be correct? I have always used the below grade rule as a basement. Does anyone know of any exceptions to this rule. MLS Listing is 2 story slab. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Peggy

Re: basement vs. gla ?

405.06: Gross Living Area
Home Previous Next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most common comparison for one-family properties (including units in PUD, condominium, or cooperative projects) is above-grade gross living area. The appraiser must be consistent when he or she calculates and reports the finished above-grade room count and the square feet of gross living area that is above-grade. For units in condominium or cooperative projects, the appraiser should use interior perimeter unit dimensions to calculate the gross living area. In all other instances, the appraiser should use the exterior building dimensions per floor to calculate the above-grade gross living area of a property. Only finished above-grade areas should be used -- garages and basements (including those that are partially above-grade) should not be included. We consider a level to be below-grade if any portion of it is below-grade -- regardless of the quality of its "finish" or the window area of any room. Therefore, a walk-out basement with finished rooms would not be included in the above-grade room count.

Rooms that are not included in the above-grade room count may add substantially to the value of a property -- particularly when the quality of the "finish" is high. For that reason, the appraiser should report the basement or other partially below-grade areas separately and make appropriate adjustments for them on the "basement and finished areas below-grade" line in the "sales comparison analysis" grid. To assure consistency in the sales comparison analysis, the appraiser generally should compare above-grade areas to above-grade areas and below-grade areas to below-grade areas. The appraiser may deviate from this approach if the style of the subject property or any of the comparables does not lend itself to such comparisons. However, in such instances, he or she must explain the reason for the deviation and clearly describe the comparisons that were made

from the fannie mae selling

Rusty

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH RUSTY

I'm not bitting on this one Rusty.

BK, what do you say?

You can report them differently but adjust the same if applicable...make a good explanation as to what you are doing and why and move on...This is common in certan homes and in certain areas.....IE Lake, Mountains, Heavy Rolling Areas...

The description said this is a raised ranch. I live in a raised ranch, it is a one-story with much of the basement above ground, not a split-foyer. The description reads that part of the level of the kitchen, living room, etc. are below grade, so these rooms are actually in the basement?

and most likely, so is the garage.
the description as being a raised ranch is probably not correct and my possible be just a 1-story ranch situated on the side of a hill in which case the lower level is all basement.

I am sorry but I know that I am going to sound dumb but I have never heard of a raised ranch! My experience is limited to rural properties such as
ranch,
1 sty with basement
split foyer
split level
2 sty
2 sty with basement
3 sty
3 sty with basement
earthen home
and others
I have never heard of a raised ranch but it sounds like a one sty with a basement. Being from a rural area we do not get all the things you may find in the metro area.

Sooooooooooooooooo,
"The appraiser may deviate from this approach if the style of the subject property or any of the comparables does not lend itself to such comparisons. However, in such instances, he or she must explain the reason for the deviation and clearly describe the comparisons that were made"

If there are such thing as a "raised ranch" then this may apply but I do not know as stated before I have never seen one.

Rusty

Peggy,

Now I know why I could not tell you what a raised ranch was-----in our area we call it a split level!

I found this under my search:
A traditional Ranch Style house is only one story, but a split level, "Raised Ranch" house has room to grow. A finished basement with large windows creates extra living space below, while a raised roof leaves room for bedrooms above. Critics may say that a Raised Ranch house lacks personality, but there's no question that this practical style fills a need for space and flexibility.

If this is what your talking about it's clear that your comparables should be of the same design and appeal as the subject. Using this def I would say that the lower area is basement based upon the above information counting it as total GLA may be an omission of fact under USPAP and a violation of Fannie Mae if other split levels within your market are counted with basements.

just a thought
Rusty

Rusty;

If I remember correctly, a reference is made in the Marshall and Swift cost book. I can't verify now, but, it really is nothing more that a ranch on a basement with entry on the upper level. As I remember, the gla is on the upper level (bedrooms,bath and living room, and kitchen) with lower level sometimes unfinished and often times a basement garage. (OOOPS, I shouldn't have said that--HA HA) just kidding.

This type of dwelling is often times high off the ground with long steps to often times a covered front porch. Hence, a raised ranch.

With what Peggy described, I would think this is not really a raised ranch, but a 2 story with functional inadequacy (maybe), or as you suggested, a split level. Not enough info.

No matter what, just find 3 comps just like the subject and there will not be a problem.---Yeah right.

Good luck Peggy.

Seymore,
thanks for the input, we call them split levels here! I know as time goes on I will hear more and more style designs that have multi-meanings. As some of you have read most of us rural people live by drive in movies and on dirt roads (per another appraiser) so we may use the common name over the big city names.

thanks for the input just a thought if something is below the waist does that make it a foot? Kinda like if something is below grade is it always a basement?

just something to think about!

Rusty
oh well I better get some sleep, have to be up around 7 and at work at 8! I love my job!

As I stated, I live in what is considered a "raised" ranch. It is a one-story with a basement. Over one-half the house is above grade. You cannot access the house without going up less then 10 steps (front, back, or basement). Just appraised a one-story with the basement completely above grade, and no it was not a split level or foyer. Stairs were around the corner from the foyer accessed by a door. Be glad to include a pic.

rusty provides a very good description of a roof but the subject is a raised ranch which simply means you walk up a number of stairs to get to the front door. the lower level is all basement. even the unfinished area where you park the car.
comparable sales should also ranch style homes, raised if possible but at least ranches and not split levels.