In Memory of Peter B. Ober

Please use this message forum to share your thoughts, memories, and stories about Pete.

In Memory of Peter B. Ober
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Special Memory

For those of you who attended Peter’s Memorial Service in Norfolk, you have heard this story. I am Pete’s aunt, and the sixth anniversary of a very special birthday for me is rapidly approaching. The last time that my birthday fell on a Friday, I had very special guests—the wrestling team from the Citadel.

It was about ten days out from my birthday that Peter called to ask me if I remembered an offer that my sister, Cindy, and I had made the year before. Each year, the Citadel participated in a wrestling tournament at Old Dominion University, and Pete invited us to attend. While there, we made the comment that if they came back another time, we would love to do dinner for them. Well, that’s what his call was about, and of course, we would love to provide dinner for them. As I remember, Pete’s mom was not too happy about this “imposition” (really not one at all), but I convinced her that there was nothing I would rather do. She even reminded me that it was my birthday, but still I didn’t mind—how could one ever turn Pete down (or any niece or nephew for that matter)?

I can’t remember exactly what the “nose count” was, but we cleared our Florida Room of furniture and set up about four tables that would each seat eight. Spaghetti, salad, bread, and dessert were prepared for a large number. It wasn’t until they arrived that I realized exactly how many mouths there were to feed—HELP! And help I had—no problems soliciting the help of all the female relatives in the area.

As the cadets arrived, they filed into the house in a straight line, each offering a word of very polite greeting. I was even presented a large bouquet of flowers. As they entered the house, they flowed throughout our downstairs area into the den, the living room, the dining room, and the kitchen. Talk about “filled to the brim;” we definitely were! I returned to the kitchen with happy chatter throughout the house, and suddenly, there was the most beautiful music coming from the the living room. It was one of the cadets playing the piano (his teammates were not aware of his talent), and as we all gravitated to where he was, we stood in awe as we listened to his performance. I learned at the Memorial Service from Chad that “Thomas” was the name of that cadet; Thomas, I want you to know that your talent is such a special memory for me!

Dinner was served with several plates of spaghetti being dumped rather than placed on the table. Our idea of serving on plastic rather than paper was not a good idea. Oh well, by the time we were finished and there was still some sauce and spaghetti left over, I was able to relax and it became a good laugh.

Over the years, I was frequently Peter’s frustrated aunt. He was always up to mischief, and on at least one occasion, he asked me, “Minky, why don’t you smile much?” I couldn’t give him an answer, but I’m sure it was because I could never figure out what he would do next. It was during this visit with his teammates that I came to the realization that there was a change in Pete—he seemed so much more mature. To those of you who came for dinner on November 21, 1997, thank you for helping to make a special memory of Peter for me and for helping me to realize that Pete couldn’t fail with the influence of the Citadel as a part of his life.

And now with Thanksgiving only a week off, while there is a void in my heart, I know that this holiday is one that Pete would want us to enjoy because it brings family and friends together. I remember all of the beautiful blessings that Peter offered as our extended family gathered for meals. He always ended with “and bless the hands that prepared the meal.” With that in mind, I wish for each of you a wonderful Thanksgiving surrounded by those who are special to you…”and bless the hands that prepare your meals.”

Re: A Special Memory

Minta,
I love reading this story. Thanks again for being such a good sport six years ago. Pete was appreciative... as were his teammates.

Happy Birthday today!!

Love,
Susan