Piper Boat Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the Piper Boat Owners club Forum. The Forum for owners of Piper built Narrowboats and Barges and anyone interested in Piper Boats. The owners club is completely separate from Piper Boats. Please feel free to post a message to club members and web site readers.

General Discussions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Upper rudder bearing

Alan.

I had the same problem on my narrowboat Colours of the wind.
I found the screw sheered of as well. When my boat was out on a hardstand for blacking, I removed the rudder and took out the collar.
Replaced the old screw by redrilling and tapping and replaced it by a M6 bolt.
The collar could be removed from the rudders swans neck. (Not a very easy job).
Cleaned out the inner side of the collar, and drilled a hole, about 15 mm from the top into the side and tapped it to fit a grease nipple. On the inside I had a groove machined just at the hight of the grease nipple hole. (groove takes the grease from the nipple and lubricates the collar). Do not try to use the grase nipple to replace the original screw, because the crease nipple is not strong enough to keep the collar in place.
After putting it al together again, and greasing the rudder swans neck I never had the problem again. Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Henk
Nb, Colours of the wind.

Living aboard in The Netherlands

hi is the the 6mm bolt meant to hold the collar so the swan neck can the move in the bearing
thanks davie

My top bearing assembly squeak badly between the position 9 to 12 o’clock looking over the stern. Is there any way of getting grease into the assembly as there’s no grease nipple or is the only way to take the boat out of the water and strip it all...

Sorted thanks

Hi what did u do
Thanks davie