Piper Boat Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the Piper Boat Owners club Forum. The Forum for owners of Piper built Narrowboats and Barges and anyone interested in Piper Boats. The owners club is completely separate from Piper Boats. Please feel free to post a message to club members and web site readers.

General Discussions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Loose rudder

hi can you post picture of what part to hit with hammer thanks

Hi dex,

I can't figure out how to post photos here so I put one at the end of my 2015 journal at http://www.public.asu.edu/~icrjc/Narrowboat/Summer15.html

Page down to the last photo on the journal and click to enlarge. The strike point is arrowed at the bottom of the swan neck. The fitter hit it so hard it deformed the metal. "Helped me with my anger management problems no end", he said.

thanks for that i will try this at the weekend

OK. I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to soak the brass collar bearing cover with WD40 the day before to help it slide up when you hit the swan neck.

hi got same problem should the small bolt stop the collar moving and then allow the swan neck to move inside

No, according to Dot Piper, you don't need to touch the small bolt. I can't remember what it's for but it doesn't stop the rudder post moving.