Bexar Genealogy Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discovery of Direct Line

SHERYL CORBELLO (CURBELO)
We have just discovered my FATHER, who is living, is the great grandson 7th generation to the 2nd family of the Canary Islanders, Domingo Curbelo b1660. son Juan Curbelo b1680, son Jose De Dios Curbelo b1710, son Jose Antonio b1746, son Juan Jose b1784, son Jose Antonio b1801, son My grandfather's grandfather Joseph Antonio Curbeo b1821, son Lucius Curbelo b1855, son my grandfather Everett b1891, son and my father Frank b1934. We are not removed or off shoots but A DIRECT LINE from father to Son My dad being in his 80s. We understand there is a movement to recover what was taken from us during the War for independence. Could someone please provide information??? Who do we contact??? we know about the Quinta Curbelo house, the post office they established, the brothers that help build the Alamo and San Fernando Church, The shipping of Cattle to New Orleans for Washington's troops, the Orange Fields etc. My fathers family is of the less than 100 that escaped the Battle of Medina in order to save San Antonio. Several were still caught, captured and killed entering into Calcsieu Parish. My ancestors paid a big price and had everything taken trying to help Texas gain Independence.
I think I understand your question. I don't think you have any recourse to anything your ancestors lost. Under which flag was Texas under during the time you claim the loss.

"Six flags over Texas" is the slogan used to describe the six nations that have had sovereignty over some or all of the current territory of the U.S. state of Texas: Spain (1519–1685; 1690–1821), France (1685–1690), Mexico (1821–1836), the Republic of Texas (1836–1845), the Confederate States of America (1861–1865), and the United States of America (1845–1861; 1865–present).

It was indeed a shame many people lost everything including there lives. In some cases people were swindled out of their land given to them in land grants. You can't win.