"USAF ROTORHEADS MESSAGE BOARD"

PLEASE MAKE USE OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD BY POSTING AIR FORCE HELICOPTER RELATED QUESTIONS, POSTING APPROPRIATELY RELATED INFORMATION, LOCATING YOUR AIR FORCE FAMILY OF HELICOPTER FRIENDS YOU MAY HAVE LOST CONTACT WITH OVER THE YEARS OR OTHER USE AS DEEMED APPROPRIATE.

"USAF ROTORHEADS MESSAGE BOARD"
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fire Suppresion Kits

I am working on a display of an HH-43B and would like to include a FSK on a trailer. I can pretty well figure out what everything looks like but I need dimensions of the trailer. Deck length, width, and height off the ground. I can "wing it" from there.

Re: Fire Suppresion Kits

Here is some FSK info. I know you asked for trailer dimension and we are still checking.

There were two types of FSK's used. The soft hose kit and the later design hard hose FSK Both kits carried the same amount of foam and water, (83 gallons of mixture, yielding 690 gallons of expanding foam.) Had 50 seconds of continued use and could reach up to 50 feet on full stream. This proved to be ample time because of the "rotor wash" behind us. Our objective was not to extinguish the fire but to cut a path to the burning aircraft and hold the path till the other firefighter could accomplish the rescue.

The soft hose FSK weighed approx. 1000 lbs. full and approx. 5 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 3 1/2 feet high. The hard hose FSK weighed approx. 1250 lbs full and approx. 9 feet long, 4 1/2 feet wide and 4 feet high.

We are still checking. We have learned that a modified USAF MB-1 was used.

I found this information on a surplus equipment website, but I think it is the right information.

MB-1 TRAILER CHASSIS, 1 TON CAPACITY, DIMENSIONS 105” X 66” X20”

I’m pretty sure (although not positive) that this is the correct measurements of the trailer. As I remember it the original soft hose FSK’s weighed about 1,000 lbs. and were about 5’ long and 4’ wide and fit completely on the trailer. The hard hose FSK’s were a little heavier, around 1,250 lbs. and were about 9’ long (108”) and about 4 ½ ‘ wide and as I remember it the skids hung over the ends slightly so this sure sounds like it would be the correct measurement for the trailer.

Jim Burns

The following information was received from Ron Lindlauf of the New England Air Museum (NEAM). The NEAM is the only location that was located that had this trailer.

Trailer: Width 5' 0"
Length 7' 6"
Height 26 1/4"

This information was passed to the originator