"USAF ROTORHEADS MESSAGE BOARD"

PLEASE MAKE USE OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD BY POSTING AIR FORCE HELICOPTER RELATED QUESTIONS, POSTING APPROPRIATELY RELATED INFORMATION, LOCATING YOUR AIR FORCE FAMILY OF HELICOPTER FRIENDS YOU MAY HAVE LOST CONTACT WITH OVER THE YEARS OR OTHER USE AS DEEMED APPROPRIATE.

"USAF ROTORHEADS MESSAGE BOARD"
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USAF helicopters th1f 66-1249 and 66-1250

Thanks Buck!!
Always wondered about the snazzy look these two ships had. They were used in r and d while at Randolph Field. The electronics guys had a bunch of black boxes under the rear seats and were constantly doing mod. Do you recall any presidential duty for these machines, or just high ranking officers and the such? Anyway, appreciate the info. We only had one close call at Randolph that I remember when one of our gray helicopters (forgot which tail number), had severe turbine engine overspeed while in taxi. Several of us had launched them and were standing by hanger 16 near the heli office. Everything seemed normal, with the usual *** wop *** of the huey rotors, when suddenly the turbines started screaming. The pilot just turned, looked like he had tower clearence to cross the active runway. That huey was all over the place with the crew fighting for control. Apparently the main rotor hubs locked and the collective would not budge for a bit. I think the engine gutted itself. It slammed hard enough to tweak the skids and the main rotors drooped way down toward the tail boom. The crew was ok but understandably shook up. Flight safety seized our records, but we were cleared with the blame being placed on a bezerk engine fuel control. It could have been really bad if they had of had any altitude, for it looked as if the ground effect is what kept them from rolling over!!.
Thanks again,

Greg Jordan

Hi Greg,

TH-1F's 66-1249 and 50 were both accepted by the USAF 31 July 1967.
They both went to 1001 AB Wing, Bolling, 5 August 1967.
Assigned to 1001 CMP Wing, Andrews, 8 September, 1968.
1249 went to 3510 MSU Group, Randolph, 14 May 1971.
1250 went to 3510 MSU Group, Randolph, 1 April 1971.
Both assigned to 12 FTA Wing, Randolph, 30 April 1972

Sid

Sid,
Appreciate the great info! Been wondering for years the history of these helicopters!! Had Myrtle Beach AFB as original assignment but a buddy from Pennsylvania asked me to trade with him for Randolph AFB because he was getting married. We were both in from early 74 to late 77. Anyway Sgt. Benton always told us we could still deploy that the war was not over officially. My buddy from Myrtle Beach advised me that one time they had two helicopters camoflaged, loaded on an aircraft, and headed out over the ocean!!, not knowing where, just told to pack and go! He could not tell his wife much of anything! Was curious if anyone had any knowledge of this mission if not still classified, secret,etc.?
Thanks again,have a good day,
Greg Jordan
P.s. Any info on you? Also above mission cancelled 3 hrs. out!!

Greg, go to this link http://www.rotorheadsrus.us/documents/615.html on our USAF RotorHeads website and look at the center photo on the forth row down to see the colors we had on our UH-1F's at the 1st HS at Andrews. This isn't one of the birds you were asking about, but they all had this color when I was there in 70-71. (by the way the photo has the wrong date on it, I took the photo in 1970, not 1960). The bird in the photo is 66-1220.

Thanks for the info Jim! Could you advise on the missions for these Hueys while there? Good Evening, Greg