Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pagng Susan Marie

I just realized I hadn't seen an update lately on Miss Morgan. How's she doing? How'd all her testing turn out? I hope that this is one of those instances where no news is good news!

Re: Pagng Susan Marie

No news is good news!! Even more exciting, because of her reaction to the Heartworms meds, we may be on to something that will not only help her, but lots of other epi dogs as well. We are waiting for her DNA test to come back and then we can proceed. Stay tuned....

Re: Re: Pagng Susan Marie

Sounds like the path to good fortune for Miss Morgan has been located. I hope it proves to be as wonderful as it soundsd!!

Susan Marie:

That is such great news! Keeping our fingers and paws crossed that Miss Morgan continues to do well.

XXOO Peggy and Zoo

Re: Re: Pagng Susan Marie

Interestingly, I heard the same connection made by the family of dog (not a golden) who suffered from cluster seizures after taking the heartworm medicine.

I am hoping that will get Morgan on a really get path, and give everyone cause for joy.

Regards,

PJ

Re: Re: Re: Pagng Susan Marie

I don't mean to keep anyone in suspense here. We are testing Morgan for the MDR1 gene. There has never been a documented case of a purebred Golden having this before. That is why we are doing the DNA test. If she does indeed have it, there are over 30 drugs that are very toxic to her, including Ivermectin. Hearding breeds ( GSD, collies, aussies etc) are the known carriers of this gene. If we really do find it in the waterdog breed, it could be the cause of a lot of the seizures these dogs are having. Now we are going through Morgan's past vet records and listing all the drugs she was ever given. Her old owners never gave her Heartworm meds, so it is doubtful that is was Ivermectin that started all this... but it sure made it worse. Dr. Dodds is very excited too !!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pagng Susan Marie

Miss Morgan is a pioneer in doggie medicine.

So, this MDR1 gene... if it is a hearding breed gene, and Morgan has it (and any number of other golden kids) does that mean then that back somewhere in there lineage there may be a "hearder" great great grand parent or something? Very interesting....

Here's to modern science.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop.

Morgan might end up being famous but maybe not for the right reasons . . . . or if treatment is successful, all the right reasons in the world.

Glad to hear the news.

Best wishes.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

OMG, that's amazing! I never would have thought of that. Please keep us posted on the outcome of the DNA test, and hugs to Morgan for hanging in there.

Re: Re: Re: Pagng Susan Marie

I realize this is an incredibly old post, hoping you can answer regardless. We're actually testing my purebred golden for the MDR1 mutation as well as he's reacted to several of the drugs they list. Did your golden come back with the mutation? I can't seem to find any research that would indicate retrievers have ever been pegged with it.

SM:
Fingers & toes crossed that this will be good news for Missy Morgan and her Momma too.
take care
Bill

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the sweet girl

Vicki