Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

Hi Judie!

Just talk to your oncologist. They have some standard protocols now, and can keep things gentle for an older dog. I read some inspiring stories tonight on older dogs with lymphoma. Be sure also to check into supplements and any supportive therapy available.

I am hoping for the best for you and Abby.

Regards,

PJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

Judie -
One thing my vet did not tell me about steroids was that once you start, if you decide to opt for chemo, the steroids make chemo less effective. I know "time is of the essence" but take the time to check out all Abby's options. And to echo what others have said - dogs tolerate chemo well & it may be an option for your sweet girl. Good Luck!
Fidele & Cedar

Re: Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

One of my dogs had chemo many years, with adriamycin, I believe. She suffered no ill effects other than a very full bladder after the treatment due to the large amount of liquid and her small size (11 pounds). Dogs tolerate chemo much better, and with few or no side effects, than do humans.