Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Not good news...(long)

My heart breaks for you. I pray you will have many good days left with your sweet girl and you will enjoy each moment with her. It's been a rough year for you. Keeping Abby in my thoughts and prayers.............
Jill

Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

Oh Judie--We are so sorry to hear the news! We are sending all thoughts and prayers your way.

Trish Honey and Abby

Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

Oh I am so sad and sorry to hear this news. We will keep dear Abby close in our thoughts at all times.
Take care all of you and golden kisses to Abby.
Debbie

I am so very sorry, Judie. I'm hoping that palliative care will give her time to spend with you. My RB Chelsea had no good options either, but she had some
very good days after diagnosis... I pray that you will get those days also.

Hugs to you both,
Carol

Judie:
How sad to hear this news. I just know that you are heart broken. You are thinking of her comfort and pain level, not your grief. She knows that she is much loved and that you will do the best thing for her when it counts.
I'm so sorry
Bill

Judie,

I am sorry to hear your news. I know you will make her last days special for her.

Wendy & Bailey

Judie, I'm so very sorry that the news wasn't better for your sweet Abby. I'm hoping that the time you have together will be peaceful and painfree for her... She knows that she couldn't be more loved.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Now that the shock is over, we are determined to make her remaining time here good for as long as possible. At her age, we are almost positive that any chemo would just be too harsh for her but we will know more after our visit tomorrow. At this point, we are leaning towards the steriods so if anyone has any hints, thoughts or even bad things to watch for, please let me know. I already know about the extra water consumption and urination but any other tips would be appreciated, deeply. Thanks again for all the support.

Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

Judie-

Our friend's non-golden had lymphoma, and he was sixteen. He had a very gentle chemo, and lived another eighteen months. That is why I am lighting my golden retriever candle for you. I hope that you will get the same. (By the way, it was a good eighteen months for Odysseus, and he had lots of treats and walks and doggy day care. He received extra-special treatment every day that he went to doggy day care, and had a great extended life!)

Regards,

PJ

Re: Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

Wow, that is so hopeful. Any chance you could find out more about that "gentle chemo" like what drugs they used, etc. Or even get me in touch with them? My home email is shown above. I am interested in any and all ideas. Thanks so much.

Re: Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

One of my dogs had chemo many years, with adriamycin, I believe. She suffered no ill effects other than a very full bladder after the treatment due to the large amount of liquid and her small size (11 pounds). Dogs tolerate chemo much better, and with few or no side effects, than do humans.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

Hi Judie!

Just talk to your oncologist. They have some standard protocols now, and can keep things gentle for an older dog. I read some inspiring stories tonight on older dogs with lymphoma. Be sure also to check into supplements and any supportive therapy available.

I am hoping for the best for you and Abby.

Regards,

PJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Paging Judie...........how's Abby?

Judie -
One thing my vet did not tell me about steroids was that once you start, if you decide to opt for chemo, the steroids make chemo less effective. I know "time is of the essence" but take the time to check out all Abby's options. And to echo what others have said - dogs tolerate chemo well & it may be an option for your sweet girl. Good Luck!
Fidele & Cedar