Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Coyote's

Rick,

Speaking of wolves, there was a story on the news last week about some women in Alaska. They were walking on some trails with their dogs and seven wolves surrounded them and wouldn't leave them alone. The women couldn't get rid of them and they had to walk backwards to their cars. When they got to their cars they jumped in them as fast as they could. One of the dogs got bit by one of the wolves but is ok. I'll see if I can find the story.

Vicki

Re: Re: Re: Wolves story

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_ak_bold_wolves.html

Yon wolf from today

Yes . . . . I actually saw that Alaska report earlier in the week. I don't think I'd be too happy about being surrounded by wolves. Too much like Jack London's "Call Of The Wild."

Below is a grainy, blown-up shot from this afternoon of what I think was a wolf, laying in the middle of the lake today. I could be wrong about that but it looked way too big to be a coyote I think. About two-thirds or three-quarters of a mile away, laying down, sunning itself and looking this way and that. Not sure if it saw us. Abby and Keeper didn't appear to notice it, even though they were staring right at it. Again, just a dot on the lake without the help of a 450 mm telephoto. And we would be vice-versa to it.

Below, on the way there . . . yon wolf is well ahead and around the corner. Mine are the only human footprints there and back. Aside from some fishermen who huddle at the dam where we start and an occasional boat passing in the summer, I've never seen another soul in all the years we've been walking here, one of our favourite dallying places, winter or summer.

More from today at www.goldentales.ca/new.htm if interested.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Re: Yon wolf from today

Rick, lying down that does look like a wolf, but it almost appears too delicate in the shot where it's standing and walking. Years ago, Cody and I were stalked by a pair of coyotes on the other side of the creek, but if I wasn't as familiar with coyotes as I am, I would've sworn they were wolves. Much more full coated than a normal coyote, and a slightly different set to their heads. They didn't retreat from rocks thrown or voices raised, so a tree limb finally did the trick. I would not be happy being alone on an unused trail with a wolf lounging around Then again, apparently it's not all that safe at the San Francisco zoo, either

Re: Re: Yon wolf from today

Hahaha . . . . the second picture is actually Keeper and, in the distance, Abby walking so you're right, too darned delicate to be a wolf. The wolf is still about a half hour walk down the lake in that picture.

For the interest of the thread, here's a picture of Canus Latrans, the common coyote, I took last Spring.

A coyote, generally, is about the size of Abby and Keeper. I know that because they've been, unfortunately, right beside each other before, through our fence.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Re: Coyote's

I've simply become afraid of bringing Faith anywhere I know there could be coyotes after reading the varying replies from my post a few weeks ago.

Maybe I'm just a paranoid Mom - people are telling me that coyotes will only attack smaller dogs and that a dog Faith's size would be safe....still, I'd be too nervous bringing her to the wooded area where I've been told there are coyotes.

Sign me - better safe than sorry.

Sandra & Faith

Re: Re: Coyote's

Same here Sandra. I rather not take the risk period.

Vicki