Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some snowy adventures . . . .

Some snowy adventures up north if you're interested . . . . a persistent cold and low winter sun as the Solstice passes us by. Although we often get "Brown" Christmases around here, we're definitely wallowing in some snow and certainly cold.

Earlier today, we were out exposing ourselves in K-Country. We thought we'd see what Troll Falls looks like in the winter.

Below, Abby finds Troll Falls encased in ice . . . amazingly, there was a stream rattling away inside of this.

Below, Keeper was there too!!

Earlier, we spent a miserable time walking into a sub-zero heavy wind going up Wasootch Creek . . . . it's a good thing Keeper had her fur coat on!! Keeper got a big trip to the big city yesterday to see a dermatoligist . . . . localized skin problems that we're trying to narrow down. We'll see how her new meds help her out.

Below, yesterday morning, just before sun rise, elk transit the in front of our house, heading for deeper cover.

Below, something I don't think I posted earlier, Abby contemplating a low winter sun from our deck. Definitely a Christmasy shot!!

Other shots at Abby and Keeper's photo blog at www.goldentales.ca/new.htm, including a roaring Troll Falls in the Spring when we visited.

Hope everyone has a great and safe holiday.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Re: Some snowy adventures . . . .

Rick, smashing photos as always. Troll Falls is very impressive. Do the elk ever leap your fence and stay awhile, or are the canine residents enough to make them move on? You and Carol and all the critters have a very Merry Christmas!

Re: Re: Some snowy adventures . . . .

Generally, elk don't come into the four acres we have fenced. They walk by the perimiter all the time though. Deer come in all the time. Coyotes don't come in.

We had an elk stampede, over 100 animals, rampaging over and around our place a few years ago, at sunset. Something had spooked them out of the forest behind our place. Pure panic. Fortunately, Abby & Keeper were in the house at the time or they might have been trampled as the elk were leaping our fence by the dozens as the shortest route to the nearby field.

Generally, they're not afraid of Abby and Keeper. They're about the size of a horse, if not a little bigger. Bulls have charged Abby and Keeper from the other side of the fence when the Dynamic Duo have bothered them. A bull isn't afraid of much.

Troll Falls is a very easy walk . . . but we went off from there into a valley.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

WOW! These pictures are awsome Rick! Really awsome.

Vicki

Enjoyed the pictures very much. Happy Holidays to you and Carol, and all the furkids.

Carol, Zoe & Barney

Great to see Abby and Keeper as I am wrapping the night before Christmas Eve.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful landscape.

Troll Falls is amazing. It does look like a Troll in the winter. Is that how it got that name?

Merry Christmas to all.

Regards,

PJ and Family

Re: Re: Some snowy adventures . . . .

Not sure how it got it's name. Like any place, you sometimes wonder where names come from but no doubt there was some local colloquilism or story behind it.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Beautiful pics as always. Happy holidays to you and Carol, and give Abby and Keeper some extra ear scritches for me.

Elk Transit Picture for Desktop?

Hi Rick,
Do you have a higher resolution picture of the elk transit shot? It would be a fantastic desktop picture for my computer.
Thanks,
Mark

Re: Elk Transit Picture for Desktop?

Sent . . . . you've got mail.

Merry Xmas

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca