Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Coyote question

I got the boys trained on my treadmill this summer. It took a while but it worked. Just a thought. I'll try to come up with more ideas.

Vicki

Re: Coyote question

Here is another idea: train them to run up and down the stairs. Honey does it for the ball. I stand on the landing throw it up to the second floor, she retrieves it. Then I throw it down from the landing to the first floor, and she retrieves it again. REPEAT as often as needed. We do this when the weather is really nasty.

Trish, Honey and Abby

Re: Re: Coyote question

I wouldn't take Boris offleash if I new there was a coyote around. Last year a man was with his yellow lab in the woods. The lab was lured away in a chase by the coyote. It wasn't a happy ending. They are a pack animal and Rick is right, if there is one there most likely are more

Last year when DEZ and I were walking in a local park (winter time), a coyote came out from under some evergreens. My first thought was that it was a stray dog! Then I got closer and realized it was not. DEZ was leashed, but it surprised me that a coyote was in a park in my suburban neighborhood. We finished our walk quickly and went back to the car.
This past spring a coyote walked into a Quiznos in downtown Chicago!! They captured him/her and released him in a better environment.
Jill

what about a 50' or 100' long line - you could hold it or let it drag behind her - stepping on it as needed...

I buy parachute weight line for training (meaning I can go to areas of high distraction and work my dogs "offlead" but still have them if something goes wrong or if the fuzz comes but "Yes officer, he's on a leash".

Erica

Re: Re: Coyote question

Good idea.

I don't want to scare people and their dogs away from city parks because of my coyote stories.

Lots of people use urban parks in North America to have fun with their dogs and they do so without incident. Smaller dogs are probably more at risk.

If it's a large urban park and there is some corridor whereby animals can migrate into it from the countryside, then the more likely it becomes you're sharing that park with wildlife.

There are coyotes in Los Angeles, in San Francisco, Chicago, New York, etc, etc . . . they've proven themselves to be a remarkably adaptable animal.

Those of a certain age might remember Disney on Sunday nights with one of their shows in the 1960's or early 1970's on the urbanization of coyotes.

It's a long-time issue for urban dwellers.

Our Sheltie Becky and I were in a Calgary urban park and we spotted a coyote and decided to sneak up on it. It was catching mice, throwing them in the air and swallowing them. We got pretty close before we sprung up out of the snow and scared the poop out of it. Then it stood there balefully staring at us, clearly calculating what to do.

Just apply some common sense to it, like not sneaking up on them, and you'll probably have no problems at all.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Re: Re: Re: Coyote question

Rick,

I don't think you're scaring people. They need to know that coyotes CAN be very sly and if they do lure your dog from you, you could lose your dog.

Funny thing is, I grew up in the country by the river and listened to coyotes howling every night. Sometimes we would lose a cat or two but not very often.

Now that I'm living in the city, the last thing I ever expected to see was a coyote! Sure did surprise me!

Vicki

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your input - I think I'm going to have to find another place after hearing your stories. I would be a nervous wreck the entire time and I can't knowingly bring her anywhere where I think she could be in harms way. It's too bad about the park with the river - it's on 35 acres of land and she runs like the wind for several hours, playing with other dogs - but Faith is drawn to the river like a magnet, more so than all the other dogs.

Back to the drawing board. It's going to be a long winter....

Sandra