Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Something to think about

The thing is, so I have read, is that in most cases the dogs manage to get out somehow, but often the rescuer doesn't!
Debbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Something to think about

It's always interesting when we're out walking or driving to see these frozen rivers in the mountains and the animal tracks crossing them.

The wild animals - as opposed to domesticaed ones - seem to know instinctively where its solid and where its not.

If you think about it, they have to cross these rivers all the time, the most dangerous bodies of water given the stream underneath creates invisible weak spots under the snow, and they seem to do so for the most part without incident.

I assume they must use their acute hearing for that.

I'm pretty sure Keeper would have perished in her first incident in the slough without help . . . and would have easily survived the second.

In the first she couldn't touch the bottom and in the second she could.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Something to think about

My daughter's golden was in way over her head and hanging on to the edge of the ice for the sake of her sweet life. She needed a rescue, and the ice was bad. It had been about 4 inches thick the previous week, but warm weather had made it like swiss cheese, and very soft in parts.

I think many dogs would drown without help, especially after they start to get hypothermia.

Regards,

PJ