Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advise needed

I have had a doggie door for years. It is wonderful. I would not be without it. Bugs have never been a problem. You can purchase the size you need for your largest dog at any major pet store, WalMart or K-Mart type store or on the web.

Considerations -

other animals coming in - I live in a somewhat rural area, but my backyard is fenced with chainlink. I've never had any animal other than the dogs try to get in, but I also never leave food down, so there is no draw.

other animals in house going out - If you have an inside only cat, they may learn to use the door.

humans coming in - The pet door is big enough that a small human could squeeze through, but I figure who would want to when faced with the prospect of a German Shepherd and two Goldens?

installation - Make sure that you install the door at the height recommended on the instructions. Due to where we had to put ours at this house, it is a bit low and it makes it harder for those older, arthritic dogs to use.

teaching to use - some dogs, esp. those sensitive Goldens, do take more time to get used to it than others. If they are not a 'pushy' type, they do need to learn to push. And then the flaphas the nerve to slap them on the butt as they go through! But they do get it. My worse case scenario was a very traumatized six-month old Golden. We had to tie the flap out of the way (in the middle of winter) for several weeks before he got the hang of it. Usually food and praise will motivate enough and the dogs pick it up very quickly.

Good luck.

Mary Fiala
Atascadero, CA USA

Re: Advise needed

I have had a doggie door for all 3 of my girls. I did not get one until Molly was 6---that was when Goldie joined us. Molly was not big on pushing with her nose so she worked out a unique little side of the face push--always fun to watch. Tara Marie LEAPS through the door to chase evil creatures. I have no problems with bugs as my door can be placed to be against either the screen or the door--different times of year call for different placement. I found mine at Home Depot. A person CAN come in---trust me, I am living proof. However, I agree with Mary--who in their right mind would want to be in the position needed to crawl through when they don't know how the large dog or dogs on the other side will react?

Re: Re: Advise needed

I, too, have had a doggie door for years. They are fantastic. For one golden I had to tie the flap up until she got the hang of it. But the others learned fine. Cookies helped. I laughed myself silly the first time I tried to teach them. they are soooo funny.

In the bedroom I have one that fits into a sliding glass door. You can find them at Home Depot or pet store. The large size works fine even for chubby goldens.