Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum

Welcome! We hope this forum will turn into a wonderful place to exchange information about our favorite companions - golden retrievers! If at any time you have questions regarding this forum please drop me an email at bward5@mac.com I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy!!! Bill

Golden Retrievers in Cyberspace / Goldentown Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for dog fight advice (long)

Sandra, I am sure the circumstances of why everyone is at your house has a lot to do with it. The dogs do sense that something is going on - afterall Teva/Juno's mom is staying with you as well. This will add to the stress level for everyone, 2 legged and 4. As everyone has mentioned, bones do bring out a different reaction in the dogs. At our house when they get bones all 3 scatter to different parts. But if one looks sideways at the other, I hear the growl. Even though it is natural for them, I still tell them "no growl". Since Faith is a very confident young lady, I am sure she would not back down if attacked. Lacey has gotten into it over a tennis ball with one of her best dog buddies. We called our dogs off, and then both dogs acted as though they knew they had done something they shouldn't have. A minute later they were romping and playing again (this time without the ball). I think the incident with Juno was just part of the stress level in the house, and a reaction from the previous incident the day before. Going from 2 to 3 dogs most certainly changes the dynamics of things.

I am sure things will calm down.

Cheers,
Phyllis L.
Logan & Lacey the Golden's, Ralphie the Corgi

Re: Looking for dog fight advice (long)

Sandra,

You have had some great insight from both forums! I just wanted to tell you that I was in your shoes last February. I had never had an issue with Chelsea and Duchess... Dutchie corrected Chelsea maybe 3 times in 10 years, and we visited their "boyfriend" goldens in PA and even shared cabin space with all 4 dogs. No problem. Making me overly-confident of course

When Emma Rose came here as a foster, she had issues with both Dutchie and Reggie the first couple days. She is a dominant girl... and she had been given up by long-time owners, taken to a shelter, moved to our rescue's vet, spayed, picked up by us [strangers of course] all within a week. What was a girl to do???

We are fine now, but I've got to tell you that I was ready to give her back to the vet or trade fosters!! I still have to watch if another dog runs at her, she will not tolerate other dogs in her face. But she is NOT agressive. I'm sure your Faith is a confident youngster and as everyone has said, the situation in your house was different.

I bet day care will be exactly the same as before!!

Hugs to you both,
Carol, Reggie the submissive, and EMMA ROSE

Thank you!

As Carol said, I have indeed had some great insight from both forums and I'm feeling much better about the situation now. I was so afraid that Faith was going to be scarred by this and not be the sweet girl that she's been all along. I dropped her off at doggy day care this morning and when I left, she was happily playing with about 7 or 8 other dogs without incidence. I made a big mistake leaving bones around - I've removed all of them, even with just Faith and Juno in the house. They used to chew on them all the time and although they've never had a problem together, Juno will sometimes let out a little snarl when Faith approaches - her tail is still wagging and there has never been a problem, but why take a chance. So while I have Juno at my house - which I will for some time as her owner convalesces - there are NO bones anywhere in sight.

Thanks again for all the great input! It's reassuring to hear that others have had similar problems and they've sorted them out.

Sandra